Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever do this one? Clicky My alt's on the way out, and this seemed like a good upgrade. BTW- 97 TJ/ 4.0 5sp

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
seems like a good idea if you could find the right one. i got an 180 amp from load boss alternators on e-bay and it works awesome, but it costs 4 times more than what that guy spent....

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you need to upgrade anything in the fuse box? I know this may be a dumb question, but I don't want to let the smoke out of the PCM- I'd assume it will be just fine with 50ish more amps???

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
Yes. I'm using an 5.9 alt in my XJ .. I had to gring the s**t out of the mounting bracket, but I got it to fit. Works fine.

My wiring/harness install was slightly different, but same theory: an inexpensive alternative to a higher output altenator.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I run a mean green alt :)
I thought about doing that when I get the money. How do you like yours? I was going to do the Mean Green starter too. (since I sat in a water hole for 20 minutes, the starter hasn't acted right)

They are kinda pricey but I figure they are worth it.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
My usual mounds after treatment had always been to remove the alternator and clean the mud out in order to get home every time. I've never had to do that since I got the mean green. Plus it keeps both my yellow tops charged nicely and goes well with the winch.

·
Das BOOT!
251 Posts
Yes I have done this swap mine was out a 1995 Dodge Ram Pickup. The only issue was easy any way, you tap the bushing over to match the jeep's alt. Once mounted you will come close to the block by 1/2 inch but not touching. Get one with the same pulley as yours or swap over yours.

No mods to the fuses, wires and easy to get another at any parts store. sorry unlike the Mean Greenie.

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
easy to get another at any parts store. sorry unlike the Mean Greenie.
Yep- that mean green one is hella exspensive, and I'm not trying to run the lights for a pink floyd concert!

·
Das BOOT!
251 Posts
Is there a difference in alts of a 4.2 over the 4.0 conversion ??
The mounting tabs are different and so are the part numbers

Compare one at a junk yard with yours

Your best bet is to call an alt rebuilt shop and pick thier brain. They deal with this all day unlike autozone who only know part numbers in thier computer.

·
National Guard guy
1,063 Posts
This article is written for an XJ but some of the mods could be done on any type of vehicle.

http://www.olypen.com/craigh/charge.htm
That's basically the Big 3, as it relates to car audio, too.

Q: How do I upgrade the Big 3?
A: first, disconnect your battery's negative terminal and get the stock wiring out of the way. Scrape away the paint and drill the hole for your connection of the larger wire, or connect it to the stock grounding point. Make sure it is touching bare chassis metal and not any spot with paint. Secure the new wire to the chassis and reconnect the vehicle's stock chassis ground. Do not reconnect the negative battery terminal yet. Look for a terminal post connected to the alternator. It should have a wire connected that leads to the positive terminal of the battery.

Disconnect the stock alternator-to-battery positive post and connect it to the post again with the new wire added. Run the wire through a fuse that should match the max amperage of your wire. From the fuse, connect the wire to the positive terminal on your battery leaving the stock wiring connected when you're done. Now find a big bolt on the engine. Make a new hole to connect this wire to. Run the wire from the hole to one of the mounting posts for the alternator or to a bolt on the engine block. Reconnect the negative battery terminal. Now you're done.

http://www.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/312025/page/1#Post312025 is a step-by-step tutorial on how it's done.

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
It's not about running lights on high beam, like mentioned here (lights are not a huge amp draw). Nor is it about "most" stereo systems (unless you are running multiple amps and tons of speaker boxes...but where you gonna put all that crap in a Jeep?). Think about running a winch. If you look at the amp-draw charts you'll see that your winch can draw over 200 amps when pulling 8000#. That is why winch instructions recommend short pulls (that and temperature concerns with the winch motor)...to allow your alternator to recharge your battery. Stock, a 90 amp alternator, and a 180 cold cranking amp battery...well...you'll be running your winch off the battery on hard pulls and if you drain it...yeah...stuck without the help of a jump. THAT, people, is why I consider upgrading to a 200 amp high output alternator.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,005 Posts
I ran a mean green til I killed it. Had it rebuilt but it's not working right again.

Just running an autozone cheepie right now.

The alternator that came on the XJ engine I swapped into my TJ was the same size casing as the mean green. Not sure about amperage.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Victory Mike is right .. I was trying to winch out a full sized pickup last year on Drummond and I fried my neg cable end at the battery ... I mean it was toast lol melted the battery connector that was around the wire at the battery.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts