Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Superduty that I run front and rear plows on. It was getting to the point when it was cold outside that the radio would shut off and the lights would dim when the plows were raising. After a while the engine actually shut off once. I replaced my battery with a new yellow top optima battery, but the lights still dim. Is there a high amp low rpm altenator available? most operation is at low rpm,
Thanks

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,143 Posts
Put a smaller pulley on the alternator, that will help.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,143 Posts
What motor?

Best case would be a second battery.

You can get better alternators but they are $$$.

If you could find a smaller pulley it would help.
Yea for sure, I thought he said he had 2 batteries for some reason, you definatly need 2 batteries for running front and rear plows.

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
You have a 110 amp. alternator, you could get one for a van or excursion. those are 130 amp. The mounting on the bottom looks to be the same but the top is different. Not sure if it would work or not plus you are only gaining 20 amps. May not be worth it.
I would look at putting a second battery in first.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been running 2 plows on this truck for 5 seasons, only ever had 1 battery, the stock battery, this is the first time the drain shut the truck down, I dont believe 2 batteries make a difference, I had two batteries on my previous truck and it had similar problems. this rig is plowing driveway to driveway, without enough amp output I dont think 10 batteries would help as they are not getting enough time to charge after constant draw. But I could be wrong I am not an automotive electrician, but I do know I rarely get over 2000 rpms so there is not much output,

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
Yeah, if the alternator isn't keeping up two batteries will only help a little.

Maybe you should have your alternator checked for output, it could be on its way out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tell me how, i do have a multi meter and it does put out 14.1+ volts but not sure how to check amperage output. to test the volts I just checked at the battery

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.