Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Classy Bitch
3,144 Posts
Has anybody here taken or been involved in Active Shooter Response training programs?
I went through a class at our church and it was very informative about procedures and actions one can take.
We have a police officer that goes to our church and trains other officers and many other departments across SE Michigan in SWAT and defensive training procedures. He set up and gave about 40 of us a 3 hour training course. It really opens your eyes to what you can do if you find yourself or your place of business in a situation where an active shooter shows up.
I’ve taken it a few times over the years, it is very eye opening and beyond what it’s taught me for day to day safety at work it’s been really helpful as we design and renovate new spaces.

At my organization it’s been helpful in ensuring there is a higher level of protection in public facing buildings. We work with mental health populations so there is an added level of risk of weapons. As I renovate spaces that are vulnerable I have used what I learned in Alice to impact the design. Justifying certain building materials being a part of the overall budget and evacuation plans are scrutinized more critically than the typical life safety lens we used to look through, historically fire safety was the primary goal.

Im a big fan of trainings that drive me into a wormhole in the name of process improvement.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I’ve taken it a few times over the years, it is very eye opening and beyond what it’s taught me for day to day safety at work it’s been really helpful as we design and renovate new spaces.

At my organization it’s been helpful in ensuring there is a higher level of protection in public facing buildings. We work with mental health populations so there is an added level of risk of weapons. As I renovate spaces that are vulnerable I have used what I learned in Alice to impact the design. Justifying certain building materials being a part of the overall budget and evacuation plans are scrutinized more critically than the typical life safety lens we used to look through, historically fire safety was the primary goal.

Im a big fan of trainings that drive me into a wormhole in the name of process improvement.
It was an eye opener for me as to what to watch and listen for. Be aware of your surroundings and if something happens take action. Seconds count in those situations. Lock down or get out and meet at the rally point.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,615 Posts
Ok, so your 9mm in your truck or trailer is going to help you while your in the building...how? is that what the rock is for, throw it to distract the shooter, then run, get the 9mm, go back into the building and john McClane their ass? You saying that just reminds me of some jackass that claims, "oh i'd love to see someone try, i'm not worried, I got my boom boom gun gun"...blah blah, while drinking a monster and smoking a swisher sweet

I'm intentionally being difficult, because you're giving out nonsense you learned from that ALICE training that is advice that will do nothing but get someone hurt. Honestly, wtf is throwing a rock or a stapler going to do; someone that is rolling on the adrenaline high, firing a weapon at people is not going to be affected by a fawking rock or a stapler being thrown at them at all. You might as well just start yelling "psst psst psst" at them and say "no, no, no , no, we don't do that". That is the kind of advice that companies hire outside people to come into their office to teach 55 year old secretaries about how "everyone can protect themselves", when all it is meant to do is make people feel like they're learning and being "prepaired". All that is teaching them is how to give a shooter a better target of who to shoot first. "here lies Nacny, mom, wife, threw a stapler at the shooter".
So what would you suggest people if they are cornered by an active shooter? I'm thinking I'll fight with whatever I have available. Unfortunately I don't have anything as lethal as a stapler available, but I'll start throwing or swinging anything I have within reach at him in hopes of distracting him or knocking his aim off long enough for me to find an escape.

The only active shooter training I've had is watching the 15 minute video my company makes us watch once a year. I don't know exactly what I would actually do if I was actually in such a situation, but even just a training video telling you what you should do is better than nothing.

Reactions: aber61

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,337 Posts
So what would you suggest people if they are cornered by an active shooter? I'm thinking I'll fight with whatever I have available. Unfortunately I don't have anything as lethal as a stapler available, but I'll start throwing or swinging anything I have within reach at him in hopes of distracting him or knocking his aim off long enough for me to find an escape.

The only active shooter training I've had is watching the 15 minute video my company makes us watch once a year. I don't know exactly what I would actually do if I was actually in such a situation, but even just a training video telling you what you should do is better than nothing.
You clearly missed the point, and still managed to say it anyway; you have no idea what or how you would react and going through anything from a 15 minute video once a year to an 8 hour class is not going to ultimately help you. Anyone can guess that throwing any object for a distraction or something to aid in an escape is what you would or could, or should do. All that goes right the fawk out the window when shit actually starts happening, screaming, yelling, people panicking, gun shots going off around you.

My point is, ALICE training is meant to make people feel good ..basically this: "It was an eye opener for me as to what to watch and listen for. Be aware of your surroundings and if something happens take action. Seconds count in those situations. Lock down or get out and meet at the rally point.". Any person with a shred of sense should be able to come up with that prior to an ALICE training; anyone that can't would not benefit from the ALICE training anyway as they're too fawking stupid to teach. It's meant to protect a companies ass from being sued, and to be able to write it off on taxes at the end of the year.

You want a training that going to actually help; you have to take one that actually going to simulate the stress and anxiety....no bathroom breaks, no cell phones, heat up to 90, then down to 40, 8 hours straight, loud sounds going on and off. That's how you'll figure out how you'll react in a high stress, high anxiety situation, actually get in it. Anything other than that is never actually going to teach you anything.

Is that feasible? Probably not, it's not really realistic to have that kind of training and mandate everyone to take it. Doesn't make it any less true or the other training any less pointless.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,615 Posts
You clearly missed the point, and still managed to say it anyway; you have no idea what or how you would react and going through anything from a 15 minute video once a year to an 8 hour class is not going to ultimately help you. Anyone can guess that throwing any object for a distraction or something to aid in an escape is what you would or could, or should do. All that goes right the fawk out the window when shit actually starts happening, screaming, yelling, people panicking, gun shots going off around you.

My point is, ALICE training is meant to make people feel good ..basically this: "It was an eye opener for me as to what to watch and listen for. Be aware of your surroundings and if something happens take action. Seconds count in those situations. Lock down or get out and meet at the rally point.". Any person with a shred of sense should be able to come up with that prior to an ALICE training; anyone that can't would not benefit from the ALICE training anyway as they're too fawking stupid to teach. It's meant to protect a companies ass from being sued, and to be able to write it off on taxes at the end of the year.

You want a training that going to actually help; you have to take one that actually going to simulate the stress and anxiety....no bathroom breaks, no cell phones, heat up to 90, then down to 40, 8 hours straight, loud sounds going on and off. That's how you'll figure out how you'll react in a high stress, high anxiety situation, actually get in it. Anything other than that is never actually going to teach you anything.

Is that feasible? Probably not, it's not really realistic to have that kind of training and mandate everyone to take it. Doesn't make it any less true or the other training any less pointless.
It's not going to true you into a survival expert, but I think any training is better than none at all.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,337 Posts
It's not going to true you into a survival expert, but I think any training is better than none at all.
By no means am I one, nor would I even profess to be better than someone else. I know reality and BS though.

Those classes are BS; But you're right any training is better than none.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,971 Posts

A poster from WWWWAAAAAYYYYYYYY back.

How is life going there dirtygirl?

·
Project Antitube
1,297 Posts
I think you should go play paintball so you know what fear does to you.

Your first plan should be to escape and evade. Good cardio, constantly "scanning and focusing", and paying attention to your "spider sense". You can use simple excuses at work by saying "need a bio break" or when going to the store "forgot my wallet in the car". If you're out and about you can say "dog wasn't feeling well".

I will say that police officers are what make me the most nervous. The overwhelming majority are Barney Fife.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts