Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here taken or been involved in Active Shooter Response training programs?
I went through a class at our church and it was very informative about procedures and actions one can take.
We have a police officer that goes to our church and trains other officers and many other departments across SE Michigan in SWAT and defensive training procedures. He set up and gave about 40 of us a 3 hour training course. It really opens your eyes to what you can do if you find yourself or your place of business in a situation where an active shooter shows up.

·
Yooper In Training
7,596 Posts
That's a start. What if you end up getting stuck in a room? Or shooter walks into the room you are in with others?
I'm 100% confident he'd enact the human shield option because he gives zero fucks.

·
Project Antitube
1,294 Posts
I've had some different kinds of training. I'll be honest, it's real easy to lose it due to lack of use/practice. Don't get lulled into the false sense of security because you did it once in a class that you're AOK fifteen years later.

Most of the LEO-focused ones bother me. A lot of them are more focused on having a team available to haul their ass out/second or more set of trained eyes to watch their back, medical standing by, and no ramifications to their future self.

I went to the Chelsea Fair today. It was stressful.

·
Registered
864 Posts
They should teach us to fight back instead of hide in fear... self defense classes should start in elementary and go right through to graduation. Fuck learning sports ball, teach my daughters to defend themselves against a physical threat.
Weapons classes should be taught in high school so nobody is fearful around guns, and would help to keep a level head in a stressful situation like mass shootings(as level as you could)... but they want/ need us scared or we might see through the bullshit and lies of the "we're doing it for your own good and to keep you safe" lines they constantly feed us while strapping us with more bondage every day.
There are such simple solutions to all of this, and not one single one of those solutions has anything to do with Alice training or creating more laws... self confidence is all but lost at this point, and that was all they needed to take from us. They were successful.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guy that taught the class did show us how to react when an active shooter entered the building. To lock the doors using different methods. If the shooter gains entry in a room how to distract a shooter as a group and not to hide under a desk or corner but to fight back if possible. Get out of the building through doors or windows.

·
Registered
864 Posts
That may be, but it's a little late in the game to try to teach self confidence. That's what it takes to beat a person with a gun. In your case, or your companies case, they're trying to teach you social self confidence by using the group to overcome the shooter. That's fine, but if one single person in that group shows lack of confidence the best laid plans will fall apart. This shit needs to be taught in school during our formative years, not late in life IMO

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the most part all it takes is usually just one person to make a move and usually most of the crowd will follow.
Someone to stand up and give directions to others. Some will be to scared to move but some will do what it takes to help.

A - Alert, alert is your first notification of danger. it is recognizing the signs of danger and receiving information about the danger from others.

L - Lockdown, If evacuation is not a safe option, barricade entry points. Prepare to evacuate or counter if needed.

I - Inform, Communicate real time information on shooter location. Use clear and direct language using any communication means possible.

C - Counter, As a last resort, create noise, movement, distance and distraction to reduce the shooter's ability to shoot accurately.

E - Evacuate, When safe to do so, run from danger using non-traditional exits if necessary. Rally points should be predetermined.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my experience, most people don't fight or flight when under duress. They fucking fail.
You are probably right. We all say we will do this or do that but we don't know until the time comes. Our guy said to us that the shooter does not give a crap about you or the story you give him while you hide under your desk. The best chance of surviving an encounter with a shooter would be to fight back or run if you can.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guess I'll die, gonna happen one way or another anyway.
Usually but not always a shooter has a target in mind and is looking for that person. Everybody else is just in the way. Its possible to distract the shooter by throwing stuff at him, garbage can, stapler, a chair anything to throw him off. Be a wolf not a sheep. You're going to want to fight for your life if you are caught in a situation like this.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Usually but not always a shooter has a target in mind and is looking for that person. Everybody else is just in the way. Its possible to distract the shooter by throwing stuff at him, garbage can, stapler, a chair anything to throw him off. Be a wolf not a sheep. You're going to want to fight for your life if you are caught in a situation like this.
I'd rather throw a 235 grain 45 ACP at him than a stapler...

FIrst I'd rather walk out the door though.

I may not have taken any fancy ALICE classes, but I highly recommend not throwing staplers at active shooters.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd rather throw a 235 grain 45 ACP at him than a stapler...

FIrst I'd rather walk out the door though.

I may not have taken any fancy ALICE classes, but I highly recommend not throwing staplers at active shooters.
I do carry most places myself but there are people that do not carry or places that do not allow people to carry. Those are the places shooters target because they know they will not have armed victims.
It's a means to distract the shooter by throwing something at them. If five people throw crap his way at his head it might give them an opportunity to take him down.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I do carry most places myself but there are people that do not carry or places that do not allow people to carry. Those are the places shooters target because they know they will not have armed victims.
It's a means to distract the shooter by throwing something at them. If five people throw crap his way at his head it might give them an opportunity to take him down.
Who cares what they like or want... if you take down an active shooter while concealed carrying in a communist store/ work place(school is a little different), they're going to thank you and call you a hero. Just don't let anyone know you're carrying until the day it(doesn't actually happen. this is how worried they have us... taking classes to know how to survive in an active shooter event. Something that will statistically never happen to any one of us) is necessary.
But throwing shit at him will literally just get you shot, that or some other idiot who pops up to throw shit... you're workplace isn't the a- team and will react with no Alice training whatsoever if it really does happen. Just practice your aim from a distance with your edc piece and be confident you can win a gun fight. That or walk out before you die.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts