Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody still run pleated paper air filters in their machines or have you replaced them all with K&N or oiled foam style filters?

Im replacing the filters on my quads and Im wondering if pleated paper stock style filters with an outerwear type prefilter would actually be better for some of the ridiculously dusty environments I ride in...

K&Ns are $50, uni/twin air foams are $30, stock type paper are $16. Outerwears are $8.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
pleated paper is fine but I think you will find the guys who run Baja and other dusty stuff use the double foam. the stockers in my quads are great. I have to laugh when I see guys cutting up air boxes to make room for "more air" rather then leaving well enough alone. by the way use a good set of cleaner & oiling products. I see to many that just spray shit like pam cooking spray when good stuff is avalable everywhere.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i run both uni and k&n and both work well...however i believe that if weight is an issue then go with the uni now with that said if you are worried about dust then go with a uni with a outerwear and save a few dollarsi know thats what i will be doing this spring just because we ride on some dusty ars trails

yetti
most guys have to drill or cut up their airbos because of mods made to the motor not really to make room...i know the directions on my pipe and jet kit for the 400ex said to remove the lid all togeather

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
yetti
most guys have to drill or cut up their airbos because of mods made to the motor not really to make room...i know the directions on my pipe and jet kit for the 400ex said to remove the lid all togeather

I understand the idea behind adding air for a moded engine, but some guys do it without the need. there was a time guys were drilling out P650/700 air boxes for more air only to find out they now sucked water like a septic tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts