Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Don't need A/C takes away Horse Power:beerbang:

Yeah, if your motor is a turd to begin with, it might be an issue. :stan:

Perhaps there's a blockage or something isn't opening. I don't know what it should be, but that psi seems low to me for some reason. I know there's a switch that prevents the system from running if the pressure drops too low, but you said your compressor was still cycling so maybe its not low enough.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Dunno, these compressors are pretty reliable...
I'd make sure that you didnt have the defrost on when you were checking to see if it would cycle....our trucks by design always cycle the AC pump when the heater controls are in the defrost position...
dont ask me why but they do

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Dunno, these compressors are pretty reliable...
I'd make sure that you didnt have the defrost on when you were checking to see if it would cycle....our trucks by design always cycle the AC pump when the heater controls are in the defrost position...
dont ask me why but they do

Its to provide a defogging function for the inside surface of the windshield in the Winter (a big plus when wheeling in an enclosed rig in the Summer, too), It also causes the compressor to be used and lubricated year-round. In older vehicles, the compressor would sit idle all Winter without lubrication and frequently become siezed by the time the air conditioning was to be used again.

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
Ok, my dodge the A/C isn't working.

The compressor kicks on, and I just replaced the high pressure switch.

I put a gauge on the line and it says 65 PSI, and doesn't move when the compressor cycles, it just blows warm air.

Anyone an A/C guru?
How long does the compressor stay on? How long does it stay off?

Is this "gauge" you speak of a refrigerant gauge? If so, are you looking at the blue or the red gauge?

I don't remember what year your dodge is, does it have R12 or R134a? (little valves that look like valve stems or big valves?)

ASS-U-MING (CC likes that) the gauge is hooked up properly and is reading the correct pressure, the compressor will probably run constantly due to the main shaft being broken or other internal damage to the compressor that does not allow it to pump the refrigerant.

If it was actually pumping, the pressure would change either up or down, even if just a little. In this kind of weather, I'd expect to see 150 (possibly higher) on the high side and no higher than 30 on the low side, probably drop to 24 and the compressor will cycle on/off).

·
Registered
805 Posts
When you are running the compressor, does the high pressure line get cold after the orrifice tube? Could be a blend door problem (not familiar with that vehicle) if the pressures look good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.