Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
Just FYI a single phase motor can be wired either for 120 or 240 and its still single phase. Asking for a 2 phase motor will cause much confusion. You can pick up a replacement motor from Grainger in madison heights for pretty cheap usually.

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I looked on graingers website and they were all pretty expensive, like $250. I'll take another look, maybe I missed a few.

pics, as requested

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I ordered two new capacitors from graingers about 30 minutes ago, hopefully it will fix my problems.

It is deja vu, I had lunch with motorctyman yesterday and we were discussing our broken compressors. :sonicjay::sonicjay:

·
Just The Spouse's spouse
1,885 Posts
I ordered two new capacitors from graingers about 30 minutes ago, hopefully it will fix my problems.

It is deja vu, I had lunch with motorctyman yesterday and we were discussing our broken compressors. :sonicjay::sonicjay:
I hope it works for you

and me! :sonicjay::woot:

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
On a side note for both of you, be sure to short out the old caps after removing them. Just take a screw driver or something and touch both terminals. You could get a nasty poke if you dont.

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,939 Posts
First of all, no such thing as dual phase (to whomever said that).

Secondly, yes, you can test for capacitance with the right Fluke meter.

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts

Actually there is 2 phase motors and power, but its pretty rare, and i think it uses like 5 wires or something strange.

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,939 Posts
Actually there is 2 phase motors and power, but its pretty rare, and i think it uses like 5 wires or something strange.
Oh please show me this motor :sonicjay:

Google it all you want, I think you may be getting confused with a split phase motor. There is no such thing as 2 or dual phase.

·
Floor Shift Maddness!
1,372 Posts

sorry shawn, i was having a moment.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i put a screw driver across both terminals and nothing happened, maybe they are bad :confused:
No, not necessarily, but I would hate to have to grab on the wire and go flying across the room. In one of the pictures it looked like there was a arc mark on the side, it might be bad. The larger one is probably the start capacitor and the one that is probably defective.

-tim

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
New caps showed up Thursday night. I just put them in about 10 minutes ago, I've never heard that compressor sound better. They worked great!

Thanks for the help! It saved me at least $300 on a new compressor

·
Just The Spouse's spouse
1,885 Posts
New caps showed up Thursday night. I just put them in about 10 minutes ago, I've never heard that compressor sound better. They worked great!

Thanks for the help! It saved me at least $300 on a new compressor
sent ya a pm

21 - 40 of 49 Posts