Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Garmin GPSmap 60csx and over the last couple weeks my accuracy has been fluctuating between +-20 ft to +- 200 ft sporadically. Usually, it sticks right around +- 9 ft and never fluctuates.

Is anyone else noticing this with their GPS unit? If not, could this be a problem with my unit?

·
#@%$!*&$#@*
2,774 Posts
You might have a problem with your unit :tonka:

I've got a 76CSx and haven't really noticed anything like that with mine. I mainly use it for driving hooked up to my laptop. What were the weather conditions like when you noticed the 200 ft fluctuations?

·
#@%$!*&$#@*
2,774 Posts
I was curious to see if mine was doing the same thing, so i have it hooked to my laptop right now. 42.66773 N 83.05871 W~42.66829 N 83.05884 W
Alt: 690.77 ft~822.18 ft.
This was over about a 5 minute period. I don't know how to convert the GPS readings to FT though. But for sitting in my livingroom, i'd say that's a pretty big fluctuation.

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was curious to see if mine was doing the same thing, so i have it hooked to my laptop right now. 42.66773 N 83.05871 W~42.66829 N 83.05884 W
Alt: 690.77 ft~822.18 ft.
This was over about a 5 minute period. I don't know how to convert the GPS readings to FT though. But for sitting in my livingroom, i'd say that's a pretty big fluctuation.
Yea. I haven't gotten around to checking on Garmin to see if there are any updates, but my only guess was that satellites were down or being upgraded. Usually I get a signal off of every satellite on the sat screen on my GPS, but right now it's only been about half of them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
my military buddy tells me that every time the terror threat level is increased, the gps sats are adjusted to be less than accurate. Have the threat levels been adjusted lately? Is this just bunk propagated by the MAN to confuse us? I do not know.

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my military buddy tells me that every time the terror threat level is increased, the gps sats are adjusted to be less than accurate. Have the threat levels been adjusted lately? Is this just bunk propagated by the MAN to confuse us? I do not know.
Yea I've heard that too. Who knows.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
I was having issues with mine having random weird tracking issues while geocaching but if I turn off the compass it gets very accurate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts