Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
You break it - You fix it
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why?
CJ w/ 3.5 lift.
When I am hard on the gas it pulls one way, when I let off and "engine break" it pulls the other direction.

Thoughts?

I do have single bar anti wrap braces on the axle?

·
Chillin with the top off.
4,891 Posts
Take it out of 4wd..:sonicjay: :sonicjay:

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,166 Posts
What engine?

You are experiencing torque steer. When you step on the gas, the motor wants to flex the frame. With a weaker CJ frame and the lift kit, you are able to twist the jeep and suspension enough that it sort of "leans" one way. Let off the gas and the opposite happens.

·
You break it - You fix it
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Intresting,

whiterhino, thats what I was thinking, just body squat from horseing it. Engine is a warmed over Small Block.

but one of the guys here in the office has the same problem with a YJ 4.0L and 33"s
Which made me begin to question.....why?

his 4.0L does not have the power to twist up like the a SBC.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
one of the guys here in the office has the same problem with a YJ 4.0L and 33"s
Which made me begin to question.....why?

his 4.0L does not have the power to twist up like the a SBC.
It's still torque steer. The 4.0l has a decent amount of torque and the short wheelbase doesn't help. Do either Jeeps have a locked rear axle? That would make it worse too (My tj lifts the front left tire if I'm not careful, especially on turns). Otherwise it is just the torque of the driveline being transferred through the frame.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I run a spool in the rear, have a "little bit" of hp and don't get much torque steer at all.
It seems the spools are more street friendly than automatic lockers. I used to get a lot of torque steer out of my lock right. I have a full spool in the 9 inch that is going in my tj next, and I know I will like it better than the lock right.

·
Me balls are huge
2,543 Posts
I had that problem with my XJ right after installing the JCR 1 ton steering. I checked the alignment and it was toed out a bit. I set the toe so it was toed in 1/8" and the problem went away. :thumb:

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
5,662 Posts
yeah do you have a locker? I have a detroit in the rear of my 9" and it will pull a bit if i stomp on the gas. I have a V8 but i'd imagine it would be just as bad with I6. Also when i let off the gas it pulls. Its because one side locks up first than the other side does. Than when it unlocks one side does first. I'm use to it..

·
AKA GreyShrink
521 Posts
I have a CJ7 with an auto locker and a Warn full floater axle in the rear. Also have locking/unlocking hubs in the rear. One time, one of my "buddies" unlocked one of my rear hubs without me knowing about it. It drove exactly as you describe. In a straight line, accelerating hard would cause a strong pull to one side, and decelerating would cause a strong pull to the other side. Got out and locked that hub and everything was OK again.

So, if you have a rear locker, is it possible that you have a broken half-sahft on one side?

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
Wow, all those posts and no one posted the correct answer.

It is due to the drag link geometry, not frame flex..

When you accelerate, the front end rises up. This means that the angle of the drag link gets steeper, which pulls the steering to the left.

When you decelerate, the front end dives, and pushes the steering to the right.

The more steeply angled your drag link, the worse the problem.

·
Me balls are huge
2,543 Posts

When you accelerate, the front end rises up. This means that the angle of the drag link gets steeper, which pulls the steering to the left.

That's what I thought too....then I changed the alignment and fixed it. :thumb:

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts

That might be ONE of the causes, however it is FAR from the ONLY correct answer.

Uneven tire pressure in the rear of a locked vehicle will also cause the same thing, as will worn out bushings in rear leaf springs or rear control arms.

There are a million things that cause torque steer. I had torque steer on my Sable....was it the drag link on that also?

It's one thing to offer your opinion but to say "Wow, all those posts and no one posted the correct answer.":stan3:

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
It's one thing to offer your opinion but to say "Wow, all those posts and no one posted the correct answer.":stan3:

Naw, CJ.. 3.5" lift... its the correct answer.

We have nothing if we don't have faith in Haggar :nana:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Naw, CJ.. 3.5" lift... its the correct answer.
So nothing else has anything to do with it? Drag link is the only correct answer? I'm sure it has a part in it, but there are other factors that contribute as well. Is the YJ that he is asking about also the drag link? We don't know anything else about the setups on these 2 Jeeps. Do they have dropped pitman arms?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts