Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a while back someone posted a consumer report about the civics or some other forgein cars.... any one knows where the post is and what car is was on???

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,274 Posts
to madre'

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Since its consumer reports and your asking about a foreign car you know they'll give it a positive review

·
I was born in the desert
1,719 Posts
As long as the previous owner has changed the oil and never let it run low those motors (4 bangers) will run forever. I have had three (2 CRX and one Accord) and the motors ran perfect all the time with zero problems besides a starter or alternator for well over 235,000. miles. In fact the motors ran perfect when they went to the scraper because the body and frame rusted out.

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
Sorry for my approach. I guess I got the wrong impression.

Due to all of the media hype on the foreign automakers these days, people have the wrong impression about this. The amount of jobs that the American automakers support and the money invested in this country is much greater than the foreign owned/American built companies. The other thing most don't understand, is that much of the foreign aspects of the American owned autos, are Canada and Mexico, which work with many suppliers in the US still.

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Lost your job yet!
Buy another forgein car.
Nope, my job has nothing to do with the auto industry.

BTW, when I buy new I always (so far) buy american, when I buy used I buy foreign. I will never own an american car outside of it's warranty they have far too many issues. I second the comment about honda 4 bangers. I had one in highschool, I bought it not running for $200, changed the fuel pump, starter, alternator, and voltage regulator (from the junkyard) and then ran it for 30,000 mi and only changed the oil twice. It was still running fine when I finally got rid of it.

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts

Due to all of the media hype on the foreign automakers these days, people have the wrong impression about this. The amount of jobs that the American automakers support and the money invested in this country is much greater than the foreign owned/American built companies. The other thing most don't understand, is that much of the foreign aspects of the American owned autos, are Canada and Mexico, which work with many suppliers in the US still.

Ya, but GM does a good amount of work out of China...I know this for a fact as I have a freind who works in China because GM shipped him there...He is kind of a big wig over there and said GM is only looking to expand over there.

·
Ultimate Mall Wheeler
843 Posts
Ya, but GM does a good amount of work out of China...I know this for a fact as I have a freind who works in China because GM shipped him there...He is kind of a big wig over there and said GM is only looking to expand over there.
IIRC China has protection against imports that requires many products to be manufactured there if you want to sell it there or else they are taxed to hell, I could be wrong. China is expanding fast they could be trying to take advantage of the market.

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
IIRC China has protection against imports that requires many products to be manufactured there if you want to sell it there or else they are taxed to hell, I could be wrong. China is expanding fast they could be trying to take advantage of the market.
Yeah, just as GM has operations all over the world, for each of those markets.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts

% domestic content is a big factor as well.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Yeah, so does the US. We're working on two Buick lines out of GM Shanghai, Buick sells more cars in China then in the US.

Japanese cars have an inport tariff around 2.5%, japanese trucks have an inport tariff of ~25%, thats why all of the trucks are built here and the cars are often still built in Japan.

Right now, I'm working on 6 GM vehicles, 3 engineered out of Sweden, 1 out of Austrailia, 1 out of Shanghai, and only one is Engineered here in Warren. They'll be built primarily in China, Korea, Germany, Romania, Canada, and Mexico, sold here in the US market.

Do those vehicles support more US jobs than something like the Nissan Titan primarily designed and built here in the US?

Its not nearly just the OEMs. Honda moving to, what, Indiana? That created 1.5 Billion in supplier business for Indiana and Illinois.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Correct, but number of jobs supported is directly related to that percentage, is it not?

No. Its inversly propotional. :tonka: If I DON'T ounsource to low cost manufacturing, I lose my job, all US suppliers will. So there for, the lower the domestic content %, the higher my job retention.

You'll find that most suppliers will actually have a moratorium on adding jobs in high cost development countries.

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
Yes, that's true, GM is doing LARGE amounts of work out of China because of two things:

1. It is a rapidly expanding market and GM would be STUPID not to exploit it;
2. ALL CARS SOLD IN CHINA MUST BE MANUFACTURED IN CHINA.

You have large deal of misconceptions that you regard as fact. That is a shame, because you're not the only American that thinks this way. :(

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
Yes, that's true, GM is doing LARGE amounts of work out of China because of two things:

1. It is a rapidly expanding market and GM would be STUPID not to exploit it;
2. ALL CARS SOLD IN CHINA MUST BE MANUFACTURED IN CHINA.

You have large deal of misconceptions that you regard as fact. That is a shame, because you're not the only American that thinks this way. :(

What misconceptions do i have? Everything he has to over there has to do with the U.S. market not the rapidly expanding China market...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts