Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share a sad story.

We stopped in the Black hills/mount Rushmore area for a few days on the way home from Yellowstone.

After a day of sight seeing at the badlands in South Dakota I decided to use the back roads to get back to camp to avoid some of the motorcycle traffic. Just before reaching the main road we encountered this accident: http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2007/08/06/news/local/doc46b69df8ac9a6733358506.txt

We were the first on the scene. I almost drove past, thinking it was just an abandoned vehicle, but I looked back and saw an arm. We tried calling 911 with our cell phones but kept losing the call. Then we remembered that the vehicle we were driving had On-Star. We used that and it worked just like it does on the commercials and emergency crews were sent.

Due to the remote location it took quite a while for emergency to arrive. The man was alert and talking, but due to the way the vehicle was sitting there was no way I was going to try to get him out. I was pretty sure the woman was dead, but he hadn't realized it yet. Having to sit there, comforting him and assuring him that help was on the way, knowing that the woman with him was likely dead was probably one of the toughest things I've ever had to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Bruce.........Wow sorry you had to deal with that but glad you were there for him.......It's tough dealing with death.

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
That sucks. It's a good thing you didn't drive past and saw his arm.

I was at the scene of an accident once and the dude died while I was there. It's a very humbling experience.

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
It sucks you had to go through that but it's good to see there is still a thing as a good samaritan. Some people would have seen the arm and kept going.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Wow Bruce, but just think if you had not been there, how much longer they may have waited. He must have been in shock at the time .

Good Job Bruce!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
wow thats crazy i got family that lives there in sturgis, alot of that happens there because of the roads. when ever i talk to my cousin his phone gos out when ever he gets in the hills

·
SlowBalt SS
2,493 Posts
Wow, Sad story but thats awsome you stoped and helped as much as you could of.

Props to you!

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
sorry to hear that. Glad to see you stopped:thumb: yes it is hard to sit there and comfort some one when you know that there passenger is dead.

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
that must have been tough. way to do the right thing, bruce.

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,266 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I had a similar occurance about 4 years ago up by waters on 75. A s-10 pulling a boat lost control and went off the road hit a tree and the boat was actually up the tree. the leaking fuel from the boat caught fire and the driver was pinned in. the passanger was able to get out and I was one of the first on scene and could not get his door opened plus the firewall was crushed into the cab pinning his legs. He ended up burning do death with us being able to do nothing about it but watch.:(

·
Got spicy flies?
1,927 Posts
Oh my God Bruce... just think that you did what it was in your hands. Miffy is right, if it wouldn't been because of your quick action probably would have been to late for the other passenger.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
sorry to hear what happened but if you hadn't stopped who knows how long it would take to get help and he may not have made it. it must have been very hard but the world needs more selfless people like yourself.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts