Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Are we there yet?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is not a Rig build... but is is a new house for my rig. :naughty:

Well, after living in our house for a year I have finally started on adding additional storage for my Jeep and work area. The house we bought last year has an odd shaped garage that capitalized a lot of space that I need for my workshop / jeep storage area (I wanted a house with more garage space, but for the price we could not turn the house down).

Here is a digram of the layout that for the new building. Because of the slope of the land, i had to turn the building on its side and have the main garage door on the side... My other option was to bring the level up to the rest of the grade, but the amount of fill dirt that I needed would have put me way over budget. The building is 30 x 40 x 10.

Here is the lot after getting it rough graded... Took the top 3 inch's of top soil off and leveled it with sand:

Yeah, the first set of lumber has been delivered:

Setting the first pole:

The poles all set and getting ready to put the Headers and skirting on:

The skirting and headers up:

Hopefully this weekend I will be able to get the trusses up and the roof decking on.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Awesome!! Beautiful property too!

<-------- Jealous

·
Are we there yet?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome!! Beautiful property too!

<-------- Jealous
Thanks! We are sitting on 1 acre, surrounded by corn fields.... I have a lot of work left to do to the yard though (yard is very unlevel and I have mostly weeds), and the lack of trees is killing (except for the lack of leaves :rock:)

·
Are we there yet?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you doing the work yourself or contracted ?
I am doing most of the work myself, with the help of my buddies. My neighbor has a topsoil business, so I am getting the grading, sand, dirt, etc cheap from him. Eventually I will have cement put in, but i want to give it a year or two to settle good... Plus cement is pretty expensive.

Its a lot of work, but I am learning a lot from it. I helped build a pole barn a few years ago, so I am applying a lot that I learned from that. The design is pretty simple, just lots of heavy lifting.

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
I'm really surprised that no one has said this yet?!

If you build it, they will come.

Reference to back yard - Cornfield picture

Let's just hope "they" are not all GL4x4 members, or you are screwed............:teehee:

Although I don't like seeing homes built in Cornfields, I do not want to detract from somebody getting their own Barn "Space". This is Awesome for you.:thumb:

·
Are we there yet?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm really surprised that no one has said this yet?!

If you build it, they will come.

Reference to back yard - Cornfield picture

Let's just hope "they" are not all GL4x4 members, or you are screwed............:teehee:

Although I don't like seeing homes built in Cornfields, I do not want to detract from somebody getting their own Barn "Space". This is Awesome for you.:thumb:
:sonicjay: Yeah, I never thought of that. My Dad is already planning on taking up a bunch of space.... I am sure the "they" are those who will be filling it up with junk.

I don't care for farm fields being taken up by urban sprawl either, but we did not build the house. I am guessing that the farmer who owned the land wanted a new tractor or something as he only sold two lots along the road.

·
Are we there yet?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This last weekend I got the trusses up and the roof decking on:

The shingles are being delivered today :woot: it will be nice to get the roof covered. My jeep is under it right now as I had to make room in the garage for the rest of the tools... I only get water on the passenger side when it rains from the cracks between the roof decking. :sonicjay:

·
Are we there yet?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, its been a while since I updated. I have got quite a bit done since the last post. Here are some updated pics:

I forgot to take a lot of pics during the process for a while, so here it stands as now... basically all I have left to do is to get the Soffit and fascia up.

Now I am waiting on consumers to actually to get off their butts and do something... Been trying to get them to get some stuff done for a month and a half now. :(

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Love it :beer:

·
Are we there yet?
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, Auburn is near Midland/Bay City/Kawkawlin area.

Nice look garage.
Yup. Its up by Midland / Bay City.

Thanks for all the comments! :woot:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts