Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Be American,Buy American.
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on here, and i only found some pics of and a/c turned to air compressor. So I wanta bring it up, and i think this is a good place to start.

I always figured you could use and a.c compressor as a regualr air compressor. If you think about it it would be the perfect on board air comp.
1, Its belt driven, and will keep pumping air till something blows.
2. It has a electric/magnet clutch, just supply 12 volts and its on,
3. most of the time we dont even use the a.c in jeeps.

The bad.
1. you cant punp air unless the engine is running. But you can just make a larger holding tank to store it.
2. You have to lubricate it more often, Since when its pumping the free-on its also being mixed with the lubricant to lube it.(they seize quick without)
3.I cant think of anything else.

The average 12volt style like ARB,QUICK AIR ETC. only make a max of about 30psi. which is fine for filling tires if your not in a hurry, but no good for air tools.

So it brings me to a conclusion that it seems like a damn good idea.
And from some of the searching ive done, you can get one working for under
30.$ Unless you wanna go all out with a pressure switch,tank etc.

heres some sites i found,

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/woody/onboardair.html

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OnBoardAir.html

http://onboardair.com/tanks.htm

So lets hear What you guys think/know. Anybody doing this on there rig rite now?
After i get some more info, and a lil' extra cash, Ill do a thread-build on how to make one.

·
Everyday I'm Shufflin'
1,712 Posts
Converting to York seems silly if you already have a compressor. You'll have to run an inline oiler (if not using a york) like they they do on air tools or in industrial applications to keep the pump lubed. And run the clutch to a pressure switch, which are cheap at some air bag sites.

But if you don't have a compressor grab a York, it will be the easiest.

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
15,014 Posts
Having had oba on a tj I would have been better off buying a powertank setup. They are more versatile and portable

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,482 Posts
:ffs:

Google "York OBA" and you should be good...

That will bring up enough threads to keep you busy for awhile.
Not fair. If he didn't know about York, how could he have googled it?:fish: That's why he was asking the question. Not everybody is astute as you and me.:teehee:

To the OP, you should have posted this in the tech section though......:poke:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Having had oba on a tj I would have been better off buying a powertank setup. They are more versatile and portable
x2

I was going to go with the OBA...but fuck it. Too much shit to deal with. Get yourself a power tank. Or rather the guy that used to sell Ultimate Air still sells the regulators and you can buy a tank and bracket on ebay. It comes out to close to the same cost, but you support a local vendor.

Regulator:
http://www.virtualoffroadcenter.com/VORC-FlowTech-SX220-Regulator-Kit_p_20.html
Tank:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10-lb-CO2-A...369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ba03fa71
Bracket:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280697918753&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

:thumb:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Not fair. If he didn't know about York, how could he have googled it?:fish: That's why he was asking the question. Not everybody is astute as you and me.:teehee:

My bad. :(

I should have looked at his join date.

It just seems like the York is such an old school solution to OBA its hard to remember that someone just coming in wouldn't know what it is.

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Converting to York seems silly if you already have a compressor. You'll have to run an inline oiler (if not using a york) like they they do on air tools or in industrial applications to keep the pump lubed. And run the clutch to a pressure switch, which are cheap at some air bag sites.

But if you don't have a compressor grab a York, it will be the easiest.
Im good with electrical, so i know how to do the relay/pressure switch to cent. clutch.
But the inline oil is what i mite have to look into. Unless i have a york, its and 87' xj, and alot of stuff under the hood still says amc. And both ford and amc used yorks in the 70's and 80s. But its probally not.

Either way, if it isnt a york, im not gonna tear out the stock one just to have better lubrication. Im only using it to fill tires. Ill just squirt some oil in there now and then. I was reading that even the non-york ones that dont have any oil still only need a squirt of lube 2-3 times a year.
But idk about that, cuz ive seen what happens when you bypass the pressure switch with no fre-on. lol

Thanks so far guys. Im not a dumbass, just wanna hear what i couldnt find.

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I didnt wanna get yelled at for asking questions in the tech, so i figured i'd throw it here till i actually go thru with it and make a thread. But thanks.

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My bad. :(

I should have looked at his join date.

It just seems like the York is such an old school solution to OBA its hard to remember that someone just coming in wouldn't know what it is.
I Know about york compressors, But I thought they only made big stuff. I didnt know they made something small enuff for OBA.And i didnt know they made auto a.c comp.
But still, even if i did know about them, there outa my price range to make some air just to fill tires.

I have access to pretty much any kind of plumbing,electrical, and HVAC stuff i want. I work part time as a tin-knocker and elctrician, and my boss has a 100x100 pole barn filled with everything you can think of.

So my opt idea was to build a home-made OBA setup for pretty much nothing.. Instead of buying one of those CO2 tanks, or and arb type.
And no, Im not cheap.

I just dont need it bad enuff to go buy it, Id rather like to say that I MADE IT/rigged it myself from stuff I got for free.

thanks y'all.

·
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
15,014 Posts
x2

I was going to go with the OBA...but fuck it. Too much shit to deal with. Get yourself a power tank. Or rather the guy that used to sell Ultimate Air still sells the regulators and you can buy a tank and bracket on ebay. It comes out to close to the same cost, but you support a local vendor.

Regulator:
http://www.virtualoffroadcenter.com/VORC-FlowTech-SX220-Regulator-Kit_p_20.html
Tank:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10-lb-CO2-A...369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ba03fa71
Bracket:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280697918753&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

:thumb:
By the time I was all said and done with my Kilby York oba setup; using there brackets, a York 210 compressor, and everything else I had about $500 into everything. I used the compressor less then 10 times in 4 years. If I had bought a powertank I'd still own it, unlike my oba setup that I lost money on by selling.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
By the time I was all said and done with my Kilby York oba setup; using there brackets, a York 210 compressor, and everything else I had about $500 into everything. I used the compressor less then 10 times in 4 years. If I had bought a powertank I'd still own it, unlike my oba setup that I lost money on by selling.
Isn't that more because you used the jeep 10 times in 4 years? :)

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i found some good news out. I had my freind/boss look at my a/c compressor. He said hes 75% sure its a york. And hes been around HVAC for 30 years.
Plus i did some research and found out that if its and 87', which it is, its got a york.
I found some info here http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_Links/Downloads.htm

So Im glad i dont have to worry about lubrication, even tho some others out there said it dosent matter just throw oil in it now and then.

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think the XJ ever had the York compressor that they are talking about.

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/project-cj7/project-cj7-onboard-air.htm

The top picture is what they are talking about, or there about. York may have made other compressors but they will be the type that will need an oiler.
damn, your rite. You can def' tell that one you listed is a york, with the tall narrow compression setup like a regular 110volt aircompressor you would use in the garage.
all well, I found a cheap inline oiler at some factory supplier out here in ther east. I gathered up most of the fittinjgs. Im just tryin to find a 1-2.gallon holding tank off of something.
thanks fro the helps fellas.

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got a new question for you guys. I know most of you say the co2 carry tanks are the best. But I wanna go with some type of renewable on the spot air. Im gonna be ussing the air for not only tires oon my rig, but probally to fill up 2 of my other freinds, and incase i have to run and air tool.

So i just got for free, a 12-volt style mini compressor. The same exact thing that ARB sells, but its actually off of a GMC7500 3116cat Diesel. It actually was used to work the PAC-BRAKE, Its a type of exhaust/jake brake.

Its a a butterfly in the down pipe that is operated by a small pnuematic cylinder, and the 12volt compressor with all the relays,psi valves etc.
So i took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it. And it works. But, I could only get the thing to build up to 38psi.

Now my question is, will the a/c compressor conversion build up more then 40psi? And is it alot faster then the 12volt?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I know the electric compressor operated exhaust brake system you are refering to (having installed a few of them), and the compressor isnt much more then what you would find in an air seat. Wont work well for what you want.
The A/C system converted can easily do 125+ psi (look at the pressures an A/C system typically runs), and at a CFM rate thats reasonable to deal with, depending on the size of the tank.

If you want a york style compressor, pm me, I have a couple sitting around, but I'm not sure of the CFM of them. They also may or may not have come off of a 24V system, so the clutch coil may need swapped to a 12V unit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts