Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Getting closer. Last night I torched off the old rear trackbar bracket and old UCA mounts. After a little time with a grinder they were good as new. Slid the rear axle under and after a ton of measurements and beer drinking I decided on a 12" rear stretch. This should put my wheelbase between 104-105

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Got the coil buckets finish welded in and ran out of gas. Rear 4 link coming soon

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well got a ton done last night. Cut/ground off all the old brackets. Fixed a ton of the P.O.s welds on front 3 link mounts, motor mounts, etc. 4 link brackets welded up and set in. Got it on its own weight and realized my existing rear coils were way tall (figured this would be the case). New coils on the way along with 1 1/4 heims for the UCAs.

Tonight I will probably get everything painted and get bridge burned on top of the rear truss. Then we may build a welding table for the shop and trim fenders if we get that far. Slower progress than I'd like but been working a lot on it. Farming season makes it hard.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Picked up a bit of bling for the front end.
Still waiting on heims to show up to finish the 4 link. Got DOM picked up for uppers and stocked up on consumables. received_239943623746089.jpg

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Still plugging away. Parts should arrive tomorrow to finish up the rear 4 link and should be ready to set this back on the ground. I hate comp cuts on jeeps but really didn't see any other way to make the rear tires fit. Greased everything up, fenders trimmed, paint done. Once it's on the ground I can do bump stops and limit straps and it will be about done

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Not sure if anyone is still paying attention but I'll at least continue this for my own reference later on. 4 link done, finally dropped this beast on its own feet for the first time in months.

6' 4" to top of roofline (hard top)
104-105" wheelbase
92" from outside front tire to outside of other tire
12" stretch
4.5" dual rate TJ front coils up front - metalcloak
2" dual rate TJ rear coils in the rear - JKS
1 1/4" heims everywhere but front single UCA (existing)
23" from floor to the bottom of rocker guard
38x15.5x15 boggers (measure to a true 37")
Read driveshaft will need stretched to 29" (center cap to center cap of yolks at ride height)

Still need to figure out rear shock mounts, don't think it will be as easy as I had hoped. Probably shift fuel cell to center the tub and come up thru the tub in the rear.

Other than rear shocks, need to put new bling bumps in up front, and do limit straps F/R as well as rear bumps. Going to fab up another rear crossmember as well to tie in some body mounts.

In these photos it is leaning a bit. I aired up all tires and now sits surprisingly level

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Rear driveshaft lengthened and installed. Got it home from my buddy's place who also happens to be my neighbor. Couple small things to wrap up but been waiting on parts for weeks now.

Still needing rear bumpstops fabbed up and shorter shocks. Also need to sort out some sort of exhaust. Also waiting on 1 big ticket item but keeping that a suprise for now.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So I pulled the trigger on the Holley Terminator X system. I pulled all the factory stuff off and prepped for the system to come in (backordered a month or so).

After it arrived, I was able to get everything installed only to release I didn't have a TPS sensor in my harness. After pulling schematics from Holley, I determined that one of my sensor plugs labeled as "fuel" was actually my TPS sensor plug. So, re-routing the wiring I was able to get everything else completed. This involved pulling airbag to mount computer, cutting through the firewall, etc. Upon initial startup, I went through the setup wizard step-by-step and was able to register signal through every sensor - except the damn TPS.

I checked both ends with my volt meter and was getting continuity. Well, after waiting almost 2 hours on hold with Holley, their only answer was remove the whole main engine harness and they were going to send me another. Long story short, I removed the main harness, and the replacement worked without issues. Needless to say, I spent probably 4 times longer than I should have to get the system running right. It now works as it should (as far as I know, jeep is still in "learning"" phase).

Now, my next issue is that on my test drive, it appears my trans isn't shifting properly. I do have a winters ratchet shifter and a 700r4. This was installed by the P.O. and I have never had the TV cable hooked up. Now, I was assuming it had a manual valve body; however, is it possible that the trans shit the bed? It shifts late between 1st and 2nd and seems to either wind out high in 2nd or shift almost into 4th. I've been doing some work around the house/garage before winter and feeling very frustrated that I can't get out and wheel this fall. I will be doing some trail riding in our Polaris Ranger the next few weeks but I'm looking at this again in another month or two. Does anyone have any experience with the 700r4's behind an LS? Am I stupid for even wasting my time on these "junk" transmissions? If I pull it out I am thinking I'll run a TH400. I know the flex plates will have the same adapter, will anything else change?

Thanks in advance

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,462 Posts
Mind me asking your main reasons for going with the holly system? Planning on engine mods or?

Hope to do some engine changes to mine down the road. Might just go from 5.3 to 6.0 with a cam and mail order tune?

No help from me for you on the tranny. I run a 4l60e. I am sure I will have tranny problems once I boost the power up. :)

Thanks for keeping us posted, I enjoy following along.

EDIT: How do you like the dual rate springs? I am wanting to go coilovers, but wonder how much improvement I might see just going with dual rate coils and better shocks?? Mane use of my jeep is trails and the dunes.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Mind me asking your main reasons for going with the holly system? Planning on engine mods or?

Hope to do some engine changes to mine down the road. Might just go from 5.3 to 6.0 with a cam and mail order tune?

No help from me for you on the tranny. I run a 4l60e. I am sure I will have tranny problems once I boost the power up. :)

Thanks for keeping us posted, I enjoy following along.

EDIT: How do you like the dual rate springs? I am wanting to go coilovers, but wonder how much improvement I might see just going with dual rate coils and better shocks?? Mane use of my jeep is trails and the dunes.
With the Holley system I justified it like this:
  • I needed a base tune regardless
  • I had no functional gauges
  • I plan to do a basic buildup of the motor down the road (i.e Camshaft, valve springs, rockers, etc. Even have a turbo setup from an old project on a shelf)
  • I got the setup for $950 from a friend that is a dealer
  • I got $500 for my old factory computer ECU
So I was out roughly $450 and I got the ability to plug my laptop in and do my own data logging/tuning. I got the "self learn" deal and a base tune just based off of engine specs and parameters that I can build from. I now can monitor basic engine functions/data on the touchscreen, and also mount a cheap Windows tablet on the dash to utilize gauges. Plus, when I go with motor add-ons later I already have the support. Granted I will probably be a few years out, but should make it much easier when the time comes. Hope this helps.

Dual rate coils are hit/miss. I actually went back to JKS Manufacturing single rates in the rear. The dual rate is almost too soft for dunes and increases body roll significantly. I'll probably move away from the moto bilts up front and back to single rates eventually. Being that I haven't tossed out the coin for bling sway bars it made anything at decent speed pretty soft. I'll eventually go coilovers up front with a stretch and full hydro to match the rear stretch, but honestly a good bumpstop and shock combo will do far better than a single coilover for ride quality. That's why I chose to invest in good 2.0 bumpstops first and hold onto coil springs. It does make packaging more difficult but it is what it is. Rock crawling is a bit better just because the speed is so slow, so it's kind of a balance depending on what you want to do. For trail/2 tracking where speeds can be a bit higher and dune related off-roading, I wouldn't recommend them. Keep what you have and spend the money on shocks/bumps/coilovers.

Once I get these transmission issues sorted I'm ready to get out there and start putting a beating on the old girl. Hopefully Reject Run depending on what happens with house projects.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,462 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your time and you make a lot of sense with why you are going in the direction you are. Looks like I need to start shopping bump stops to go along with coilovers.

Used to see used coilovers on pirate, now I am not seeing much. My thoughts are 14 or 16 inch on all 4 corners..

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Thinking of selling to get into something and being financially responsible towards paying off student loans.

$8,500 obo as it sets

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,462 Posts
Nothing wrong with being responsible. Sad to se you sell it though. It has been a great build thread.

What are your impressions of the holley efi system so far?

61 - 75 of 75 Posts