Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Redreck Cadillac
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy's car died on the road. He says it's the fuel pump, did the pounding on the tank trick and it fired up. But it stopped working again and won't start this time.

My question is if I go to work on this thing at his house ( no tools there) can I get to the tank thru the truck or do I need to bring it home and drop the tank?

·
MMM Shrimp Slushy
1,980 Posts
My buddy's car died on the road. He says it's the fuel pump, did the pounding on the tank trick and it fired up. But it stopped working again and won't start this time.

My question is if I go to work on this thing at his house ( no tools there) can I get to the tank thru the truck or do I need to bring it home and drop the tank?
I think your best bet might be to try to access it through the car not through a truck.

·
i like to party
587 Posts
is it a gtp? if it is they have a 2 stage pump and there a resistor....i cant remember where i wanna say bolted to quarter panel but it is white and shaped like a horseshoe kinda smooshed together. anywho they are prone to cracking and it shuts off the pump - i had a go around with one of those a couple years ago.

·
Redreck Cadillac
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it's a GTP, I will have him look under the rear seat and the trunk carpet for an access panel. Thanks guys and I will look for a resistor too.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Even my buddies non GTP had the resistor, his just died on the road 2 months back.

search on here, there was another theread on this a few months ago. Or just google grand prix fuel pump resistor, and tons of pages will come up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yup, access in the trunk.

The resistor is easily bypassed, after owning 4 W-bodies, I've got it memorized.

Open the underhood fuse panel
Find the Relay labeled "Fuel Pump Speed Control"
Remove the Relay and hold it in your hand with the pins facing up, so that it looks like the letter "C"

I I

I

I I

Bend / cut the pin in the lower right hand corner.
Put the relay back into it's spot.
Drive home!

That locks the fuel pump in high speed mode (GM did this in 01 after all the resistor failures. No problems after 5 years of driving like that on my Regal)

-Rob

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
if it is the pump it is easy to change, climb in the back seat fold down the arm rest and pull the carpet in the trunk back and there is an acess panel right there take the 6 or so nuts off and pry the cover off and you are looking at the top of the tank/pump..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yup, access in the trunk.

The resistor is easily bypassed, after owning 4 W-bodies, I've got it memorized.

Open the underhood fuse panel
Find the Relay labeled "Fuel Pump Speed Control"
Remove the Relay and hold it in your hand with the pins facing up, so that it looks like the letter "C"

I I

I

I I

Bend / cut the pin in the lower right hand corner.
Put the relay back into it's spot.
Drive home!

That locks the fuel pump in high speed mode (GM did this in 01 after all the resistor failures. No problems after 5 years of driving like that on my Regal)

-Rob
i was gonna say the same thing but thought itd be a world of confusion good explanation by the way... got love what they did with the w-bodys before 01 my 97 had extra harnesses extra wiring etc lol

·
Registered
242 Posts
It was nice because they used only a couple of body harnesses for all the options. I added passenger power seat, HUD, and a few other factory options to my old Regal just by plugging into the spare plugs in the harness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts