Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
LONG STORY SHORT, IM 23
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
welp i had a guy offer trade his 98 GC for my s10. i know the normal things to check for but i know on chevys theres certain things you look at when purchasing/trading im just wondering is there anything in paticular with jeeps that normally go bad. rust, break, signs of soon to break lol. he said the only issues are some rust under the front doors (rocker area) and it needs a bushing on the steering arm? said he drives it everyday.

i know the motor side with the fluids knocks tings dings yada yada yada......

any advice would be appreciated

and another really dumb question this will be my first jeep what fukcing *_J* is that considered? lol ZJ???

·
Hit the lights
472 Posts
if its stock then it should be all kosher. its after they've been lifted and beat on a bit. the control arm brackets start getting weak and crack.

other then that zj's are alot of fun to own/wheel.

·
sit down shut up and ...
4,510 Posts
miles ? trim level ? t-case ? axles ?

but if it's that forest green it's junk any way :teehee:

·
LONG STORY SHORT, IM 23
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
miles ? trim level ? t-case ? axles ?

but if it's that forest green it's junk any way :teehee:
lol its a white one he says 175k and im not sure on t-case or axles i assume they are just stockers. what different acles came in those from the factory? do you know where the tags are so i can tell what they are?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What engine? I think if its the v8 you might get the 8.25 rear, 4.0 I6 might be the Dana 35. I am in no way an expert when it comes to Zj's so take my info with a grain of salt. I do know for a fact that there is a wealth of info already on the net about all Jeeps including Zj's so a trip to Google will most likely help you out more than this thread.

·
LONG STORY SHORT, IM 23
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its the I6, i cant really complain if its a good running jeep im pretty happy, ill be moving back to MD/VA area in December and i love my s10 but with my fiance with me and my little pup a jeep will be a whole lot better drive then my s10 and idk if i trust my s10 for a 800 mile trip it doesnt show any signs of shit breaking but idk i just havent made many long trips on it like my camaro i would trust that thing to go anywhere. so hopefully i can get this jeep and make some drives around to make sure shes good and maybe get atleast a little body lift on her and some 31s before i leave :)

sorry i kinda went rambling on lol

·
Don't Fear The Jeeper
3,165 Posts
its the I6, i cant really complain if its a good running jeep im pretty happy, ill be moving back to MD/VA area in December and i love my s10 but with my fiance with me and my little pup a jeep will be a whole lot better drive then my s10 and idk if i trust my s10 for a 800 mile trip it doesnt show any signs of shit breaking but idk i just havent made many long trips on it like my camaro i would trust that thing to go anywhere. so hopefully i can get this jeep and make some drives around to make sure shes good and maybe get atleast a little body lift on her and some 31s before i leave :)

sorry i kinda went rambling on lol
good luck with that:teehee: zjs don't have "frames" so no go on the body lift.. however you could get some coil spring spacers and then fit 31s on it:thumb:

·
LONG STORY SHORT, IM 23
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good luck with that:teehee: zjs don't have "frames" so no go on the body lift.. however you could get some coil spring spacers and then fit 31s on it:thumb:
like i said, IDK jeeps lmao but im sure if i need help with anything o any questions your right down the street ill hit you up, seems like you might have a pretty good idea on what your doing with these things. i know bowties not there yeep thingys

·
LONG STORY SHORT, IM 23
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well guys i took the plunge. im the proud owner of a 98 Grand Cherokee, she needs some work but nothing compared to the shit wrong with my s-10 i love this thing so far!!!

·
LONG STORY SHORT, IM 23
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks man i just got the inside cleaned up. she was wayyyyy dirty. i need some lift and some tires on a nice set of black soft 8s lol and a front bumper to match....

you dont have a stock radio do you? did any of them come with subwoofer hookups? i wanna keep the stock look i love how they look but have 2 12 kicker L7s and a amp i wanna hookup but i just pulled my radio out and it doesnt have RCA outputs or anything.. wondering if they even came with the outputs on stock radios??

·
Don't Fear The Jeeper
3,165 Posts
I dont think any stock radios have rca outs on them. I dont have stock but I have a cheap cd player that my wife doesnt want to use. it randomly makes noise like its turning a cd, and sometimes it wont even play a cd, so she did not want it in her car.

stock look is nice, but the radios muffle the sound alot, when we had the above mentioned cd player in her car, it doubled the volume, and the sound quality was way better.

·
LONG STORY SHORT, IM 23
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ive got 2 or 3 radios laying around here, i just love the stock look and plus i dont wanna get into having to buy a wiring harness for it and the install kit. just really dont wanna dick with it, unless its to put in my flip out dvd player

·
LONG STORY SHORT, IM 23
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea if you wanna ride up here to muskegon ill sell ya one for 20 bucks, i had it in my ramcharger and it worked fine for me. i havent turned it on in prolly 6 months but has just sat in my closet. hit me up 443-466-6630

·
LONG STORY SHORT, IM 23
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

just got my 31s put on this morning... and figured id flex the shit out of her with my trailer tire... :D

hopefully ill get my 3 in lift coils on this weekend

·
LONG STORY SHORT, IM 23
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thats what im gonna do in Dec when i get home and have a welder and all my tools and a heated garage i can walk around the jeep. but im gonna put some 1/4 steel plates for slider type of things. and then take a piece of tubing and run it out a good 6-8 inches for a step bar/a tree push off lol. figure thatll help save the body if i ever really get in a shitty spot. itll help save it from a rock smashing the door or pivoting off a tree

1 - 20 of 119 Posts