Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1501 - 1520 of 1529 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,400 Posts
Tuning is one of those obscure things that I don't understand. I know my new buggy has aftermarket parts and a tune. It would be nice to know how it's tuned. I'm hoping it isn't being pushed in some wrong way that endangers the motor.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,505 ·
Some wideband O2 controllers have additional output to mimic a narrow band, so you might be able to use 1 sensor and have it do both.

Cool to hear you are taking on tuning yourself and having success.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
I did not know this and I will have to look into it, thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,506 ·
Tuning is one of those obscure things that I don't understand. I know my new buggy has aftermarket parts and a tune. It would be nice to know how it's tuned. I'm hoping it isn't being pushed in some wrong way that endangers the motor.
I have spent countless hours trying to learn and I still dont understand it

What computer do you have running the motor?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,507 ·
I also got laser cuts in for another piece of the inner fenders. They dont fit like I hoped so I'm undecided right now if I trim these up, or just have another set cut.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,509 ·
I would trim and install. That would allow you verify no rubbing issues or similar, and if you find after some time that adjustments are needed you can incorporate it all in one final cut.
This is a good point, but it's takes less effort to make cuts on the computer...

Although I would probably go through many more sets of panels before getting it right....I guess the angle grinder it is.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,512 ·
Old exhaust set up on the passenger side...

I built this back in 2011 when I first did the engine swap

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,513 ·
And the new. My TIG welder has a leak somewhere in the hose or the torch though so I couldn't get any farther. Once the new hose and torch shows up I'll get to welding.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,604 Posts
I really need to rework my exhaust like you are doing. There are a couple kinks from the shop I had do it, probably loosing some power because of it. Where did you purchase your bends?

Also, I really wanna do a cam to my 5.3, but it seems that tuning may cost just as much as the cam and lifters?

·
Low Range Drifter
8,365 Posts
Also, I really wanna do a cam to my 5.3, but it seems that tuning may cost just as much as the cam and lifters?
A few years ago I paid $600 for an afternoon of dyno testing on a stock ECM. Could have spent same or little more for my own Wideband O2 and HPtuners, but that would require a lot of time learning. I'm going with the $1000 on Holley Terminator and hope the self tuning is worth a shit. :D

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,517 ·
Holley is the way to go for the best time/money investment.

In my situation I have both my TJ and the willys truck with LS swaps. My brother has a cammed silverado, and my other brother has a hemi TJ. Instead of buying 4 separate holley systems, we got 1 hp tuners system that handles all the vehicles.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,518 ·
Yep, I have true dual exhaust with a hush power on both sides. It's still loud and I have been pulled aside getting into the dunes with the hush powers.

This is how that conversation went:

Officer said "rev it to 2500 rpms"
Me: "I have no tachometer"
Officer: "What mufflers do you have?"
Me: "Flow master Hushpowers"
Officer: "Ok your good"

My motor is loud, not sure if it's the higher compression ratio I'm running, the cam, or how short my exhaust is, but I would like it to be quieter.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A few years ago I paid $600 for an afternoon of dyno testing on a stock ECM. Could have spent same or little more for my own Wideband O2 and HPtuners, but that would require a lot of time learning. I'm going with the $1000 on Holley Terminator and hope the self tuning is worth a shit. :D
I’m getting ready I think to put Holley terminator x for Fox body on my Windsor. Been doing a lot of research and supposedly the self learning is just good enough to get ya going so still gonna need a Dyno tune or a lot of time learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
575 Posts
I did my exhaust with a 2.5 inch universal kit off eBay. It was really good quality and super cheap. I went with flowmaster Fx mufflers. They have a raspy sound. Pretty quit down low but get rowdy up too. I think I had less than 180 bucks in my whole exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1501 - 1520 of 1529 Posts