Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1441 - 1460 of 1499 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,441
Got the air shocks sold and started using those mounts to get a good visual of how the coilovers are going to fit and where to notch the frame. Looks like if I mount them a little more vertical then the air socks, the upper mount pushed as high as I can go and the lower about flush with the bottom of the axle tube I'll be able to get them to fit how I want.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,442
Got both coilovers mocked up where I wanted them and started drawing mounts. I'll get them sent off to get laser cut tomorrow and if I'm lucky I'll have them by the end of the week.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,443
Changed my mind on the lower mounts. I was originally thinking I would have to have the mounting bolt perpendicular to the axle tube but after flexing it out I only saw about 4 degrees of shock angle change so I should have enough misalignment to run the bolt parallel to the axle tube. Now the lower mount can be a simple tab style like I planned on for the upper mount.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,445
Unfortunately if I want the mount to be on top of the axle tube I would be left with barely 2" of up travel given the height of the wheel well. I already have my shock hoop tucked up as high in there as it will go and if I'm going to cut that off, and cut a new hole in the wheel well I would go straight to back halving the frame. But with a week old baby and building a new house I got no time for that...

I ran my air shocks on the backside of the axle tube just like this for 3+ years and never had an issue so I'm just going to go with it.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,462 Posts
You could probably build a lower shock "shroud" pretty easy.

Congrats on the little one. Good luck on the house build.

·
Gustafson
9,227 Posts
Congrats on the house and the baby! Very cool! :rock:

EDIT: Need to start a build thread for the house like RBB did. :sonicjay:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,455
Congrats on the house and the baby! Very cool! :rock:

EDIT: Need to start a build thread for the house like RBB did. :sonicjay:
Thanks! If there's enough interest I would definitely be willing to do that! Most of the work I will be doing though wont start til after it has been framed.

The rest of the new basement is getting dug this week and the new foundation will start getting poured on Monday!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,456
Coilovers have kind of been a pain to get mounted, I finally broke down yesterday and ordered a pair of wheel spacers to get everything to clear. With one side at full bump and the other at full droop the frame and the tire were getting in the way. I'm going to end up notching the frame about a 1/4" deeper and then put the wheel spacers on and everything should clear.
Front axle wms to wms is 68" and with spacers the rear will end up at 67".

Hoping to get it ready to take out to rocks and valleys next weekend but I got a pretty busy week ahead of me

·
Registered
713 Posts
Nice Ryan! Been a while since i checked in.
Congrats on the baby!!
Good luck with the house, finally got in ours about 3 weeks ago... still too much to do to finish lol seriously if you need any advice call or text me. I might be able to help a little. It's overwhelming, and costly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,458
Nice Ryan! Been a while since i checked in.

Congrats on the baby!!

Good luck with the house, finally got in ours about 3 weeks ago... still too much to do to finish lol seriously if you need any advice call or text me. I might be able to help a little. It's overwhelming, and costly.
Thanks!

That is a really nice looking house, looks like you guys went above and beyond! Were attempting to go pretty basic to begin with and add more of the "want" type stuff as we go.

Forms are off the concrete and the basement floor is getting poured today and hopefully framing starts this week yet!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thanks, i tried to talk my wife into going basic and remodeling in a few years, but it didn't go that way lol.

My best advice, don't let the contractors walk all over you. Make sure when they get there, they stay on site until their portion of the project is complete, or as far as they can get until the next guy gets his shit done. All delays will add up to one thing, you guys will keep having to change your move in date. That will be harder on you and the misses more than anything else.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,460
Thanks, i tried to talk my wife into going basic and remodeling in a few years, but it didn't go that way lol.

My best advice, don't let the contractors walk all over you. Make sure when they get there, they stay on site until their portion of the project is complete, or as far as they can get until the next guy gets his shit done. All delays will add up to one thing, you guys will keep having to change your move in date. That will be harder on you and the misses more than anything else.
Were definitely already seeing some of that with contractors. I was on site helping our excavator til almost 11 last night to make sure the basement floor is ready to be poured this morning

1441 - 1460 of 1499 Posts