Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1261 - 1280 of 1498 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yea I dug a little deeper than I had originally planned when I first tore it apart after the rejects run...I think my chances of having it done by the first race are getting very slim...

I will try my hardest though...and if my jeep isn't done I will still be there spectating and maybe co pilot for my brother with his hemi wrangler

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Late nights and long days! It will be close I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,262
Late nights and long days! It will be close I'm sure.
Yep there will be plenty of those haha, I hate setting deadlines though, they always seem to lead to shortcuts taken and things missed.

I have been trying to make my willys pickup project priority over this too, but I won't go the whole summer without having my wrangler done

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,263
I think the Chevy 3/4 ton calipers are going to work, but I'm going to need what looks like at least a 12" diameter rotor for the caliper to clear the knuckle

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,264
Specs from a 2003 dodge ram rotor look promising other than the hole diameter. It would need to be machined to at least 4 1/8"

·
throttle jockey
1,656 Posts
No problem machining the hole. That rotor is a little thinner than what those calipers call for, but probably doable as long as you don't let the pads wear down to nothing.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,267
No problem machining the hole. That rotor is a little thinner than what those calipers call for, but probably doable as long as you don't let the pads wear down to nothing.
Yea the only other option I have found so far has a rotor thickness of less than 3/4".
I have 17" wheels so the bigger rotor diameter isn't an issue

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,268
1 step forward and 2 steps back. I got my upper boatside tube tacked in place but the body mounts are preventing me from achieving the look I want so they will be hacked off and re made.

I'm shooting for a look like the picture below where the sides angle in the same front to back. I will for sure have to re make 2 of the mounts and I might be able to get away with just trimming one. The frame being a lot narrower in the front than the back is also making it difficult.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,269
I also got my coilover towers tacked in place and that pretty much threw any chance I had of making a steering box work out the window, so new plan is full hydro and 4 link

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,271
Did those hubs fit in your wheels alright?
They sure did! Thanks again

My new nodular 3rd member should be here this weekend so I need a locker and install kit yet and I can get this axle put together. I gotta figure out brake rotors yet too, but I would like to get the inner C's put in place first and get the axle assembled

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I also got my coilover towers tacked in place and that pretty much threw any chance I had of making a steering box work out the window, so new plan is full hydro and 4 link

I have a single ended 2.5x8" psc ram for sale i may still have my old orbital to works great just a little to slow for my liking

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,273
I think I need to start saving my pennies now for a high pinion 3rd member....

I'm sure I will be happy with the outcome of this axle but I would have been a lot of time and money ahead if I just took the super duty 60 and ran with it

·
throttle jockey
1,656 Posts
Yeah a hp would be nice. The 9" has such a low pinion that the driveshaft usually ends up lower than the links and takes a beating

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I dont have much run time on my front hi 9 but so far its worked flawless and keeps the driveshaft outta the rocks

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,277
Unfortunately a hi-9 Just isn't an option right now.

To get the up travel and separation numbers I'm looking for the lower links will be mounted a few inches below the axle centerline, I'm hoping the link will act as a decent skid plate for the driveshaft

1261 - 1280 of 1498 Posts