Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ESTRADA
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is do vacuum servo's on front axle assemblies go bad? I've never seen one actually quit working. The t-case engages and the vacuum lines at the servo are reading 15 hg's. When I engage the axle by pushing the servo over manually the 4WD engages and works fine. It will work until I shift the truck back into 2WD and the servo will disengage the axle. Put it back into 4WD and i'm back to crawling under the truck again. Will the part fail again, or should I consider getting a cable set up?

·
ESTRADA
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I hate doing searches and finding threads that do not have any answers or ideas so I figured I should post an update.

Vacuum servos can go bad. It also appears they can get stuck as well. I soaked the linkage points thoroughly with WD40 and manually kept working the servo in and out. Now, it does engage and disengage. I expect the part to fail in the near future but this little trick should get me out of winter.

·
Wasn't this attached?
4,125 Posts
I had a 97 years ago. I had it fixed at a shop, but if I remember right I think the little finger deal that engages the front axle is what broke. I remember the guy telling me it was fairly common.

I don't know if this helps.

Also, it wasn't really expensive to have it fixed. $100 ish

·
ESTRADA
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the part your talking about, it is fine. Something in the vacuum servo was causing the shaft to not pull in when the vacuum motor would try to suck it in. The truck isn't worth putting too much money in but it doesn't have high mileage so I want to get more use out of it before I get rid of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts