Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
dodge ram 1500 4x4
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 4x4 dont engage in the front axle i have no clue what could be the problem i was told the pin may be froze up but i dont know where it is. theres 4 bolts that hold the vaccum diaphram with the solinoid i have power there it holds vaccum fine. im new to 4x4 trucks so if anyone could help thanks:beerbang:

·
Chillin with the top off.
4,891 Posts
Check your transfer case switch they go bad alot.. Or your disc may be bad.. (they rot out)

·
Registered
252 Posts
jack it up and put it in 4 and see if your front drive shaft even spins. if not its prolly your hubs or the vacuum solenoid itself

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
vacuum actuator or hubs i would say. check vacuum at the actuator and you can rule that out maybe.
2nd-gen Rams don't have automatic hubs. They don't have lockouts at all. They are unit-bearing axles with CAD systems.

·
dodge ram 1500 4x4
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i wish it had locking hubs itd be much easier, ill have to check the actuator ill pull it off and change it just to rule it out

·
BRAAAAAAAAP
209 Posts
Does you 4x4 dash light come on? If it doesn't it usually means the collard in the diaphram isn't sliding over and pushing a little button to turn the light on. My actuator was froze in place. I put 4x4 Posi Lok on my truck and i like it.

·
thats how i roll
26 Posts
check the actuator the make rebuild kits pretty cheap and its easy to do i just did one in my uncles 2001 3/4 to and my friends 1/2 to 95

·
Crazy Canuck
70 Posts
I just put a 4x4 posilok on mine and I love it. A few weeks earlier I removed the actuator to check inside and I had a bunch of ice inside there that was restricting the movement of the fork.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I just put a 4x4 posilok on mine and I love it. A few weeks earlier I removed the actuator to check inside and I had a bunch of ice inside there that was restricting the movement of the fork.
If you had enough ice to restrict the fork you have another problem. Ever change your diff fluid. If you spend a lot of time with your axles under water you probably should change your diff fluid more often.

·
The Dodge Guy
5,572 Posts
2nd-gen Rams don't have automatic hubs. They don't have lockouts at all. They are unit-bearing axles with CAD systems.
with what pp said ems offroad makes a cad delete but it still uses the unit bearing, ems also makes a hub conversion kit a bit pricey but worth it in the long run.
hub kit http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=128_131_135&products_id=262

cad delete http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/ind...id=350&zenid=8ad3d10dcb8e89d8af3f3dd037897f66

The 4x4 Posi-Lok kit for this truck is cheaper than the vac actuator for the front axle. I know from the dealer it's around $297 and on the 4x4 Posi-Lok web site the conversion kit is around $203.

www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html
x2

·
Crazy Canuck
70 Posts
If you had enough ice to restrict the fork you have another problem. Ever change your diff fluid. If you spend a lot of time with your axles under water you probably should change your diff fluid more often.
The fluid has been changed a few times. The problem is the lack of a seal on the axle end. I was bogging a few weeks earlier and that's where the water came from and collected by the fork.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts