Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
located in charlotte mi.
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all just wondering if the axle from a 95 grand is a direct swap into my 2000 tj? or will it require more work than its worth?:confused:

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
Why would you want a D35 or a D44a in your TJ?
I've got a 44a in my TJ. I'm never going bigger than 33's with it, and I figure if it holds up in a V8 ZJ that outweighs me by half a ton, I'm sure as hell not going to break it. It is not really a bolt in option, you will need to get adjustable upper control arms, the vent set-up is different, and you'll need to fab up something for the sway bar liinks. Also, the coil buckets are different, and your stock TJ rear springs won't fit. All of this can be easily rectified, BUT the biggest problem is the LCA brackets- They point straigt off the axle, and TJ LCA brackets are on a shallow angle. Personally I went for it for a couple reasons- Shreddedbark bet me it wouldn't fit, I got it cheap, it had the gear ratio I wanted, and really, Just for the pure hell of it.

I have some pics of my amazingly ghetto-fab (but functional) sway bar link fix, if you're interested.

·
DrivewayJeeper
10,957 Posts
I've got a 44a in my TJ. I'm never going bigger than 33's with it, and I figure if it holds up in a V8 ZJ that outweighs me by half a ton, I'm sure as hell not going to break it. It is not really a bolt in option, you will need to get adjustable upper control arms, the vent set-up is different, and you'll need to fab up something for the sway bar liinks. Also, the coil buckets are different, and your stock TJ rear springs won't fit. All of this can be easily rectified, BUT the biggest problem is the LCA brackets- They point straigt off the axle, and TJ LCA brackets are on a shallow angle. Personally I went for it for a couple reasons- Shreddedbark bet me it wouldn't fit, I got it cheap, it had the gear ratio I wanted, and really, Just for the pure hell of it.

I have some pics of my amazingly ghetto-fab (but functional) sway bar link fix, if you're interested.

pretty sure grands don't weigh 1000lb more than a tj.....maybe 500lbs.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
You are ALL wrong.

I have 500lbs of sand in the back of my ZJ. :junk:

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
pretty sure grands don't weigh 1000lb more than a tj.....maybe 500lbs.
Okay, now I'm curious, so I looked it up: from the autochannel '96 ZJ with a 318 (what my axle came out of) 3931lbs curb weight...

A TJ, from consumer guide 3092lbs. I'm thinking thats a 4cyl, not a 6 for the curb weight, that jibes with the last 4 cyl TJ I had. I'd assume that a 6 weighs somewhat more?

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
Hah. Beat to it, and didn't even notice... That's worse than being wrong. Roadhouse, feel free to kick me in the junk at PigGig.

·
DrivewayJeeper
10,957 Posts
Hah. Beat to it, and didn't even notice... That's worse than being wrong. Roadhouse, feel free to kick me in the junk at PigGig.
I knew my answer wasn't right...but new the diff wasn't 1000lb.

No kick in the junk....lets just drink some :beer: together:thumb:

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
I knew my answer wasn't right...but new the diff wasn't 1000lb.

No kick in the junk....lets just drink some :beer: together:thumb:

:thumb: I like beer.

·
GVSU Jeeper
1,352 Posts
Just for the record... the D44a out of a WJ is MUCH stronger than the D44a out of the ZJ. But the WJ axel is the wrong width and bolt pattern. 33's locked on a ZJ 44a is a MUCH better setup than a D35...

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
Just for the record... the D44a out of a WJ is MUCH stronger than the D44a out of the ZJ. But the WJ axel is the wrong width and bolt pattern. 33's locked on a ZJ 44a is a MUCH better setup than a D35...
Isn't it also a 3 link axle or something?

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
so this is basicly more work than its worth?
I wouldn't do it again, I could have swapped in a ZuZu 44 in the same amount of time it took to make this work, but it's there and it works.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts