Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Yooper
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a newer XJ that I am picking up, paid $200 for it the only problem it has is the battery loses all power after shutting off the motor and letting it sit for several hours. Any idea on what could be causing this? Battery is new, alternator is charging. Could it be a bad ingnition switch causing this? Any ideas??

·
"The Situation"
14,415 Posts
Pull - batt cable.. hook an ammeter in line see how many amps its drawing. then pull the fuses one at a time til i drops down.. then find out what the fuse is for.. and check everything on that circuit and see if its staying on..

Cheap quick fix = find out what fuse it is.. if its something you can live without... leave it out..

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The first thing I would check is the battery itself. A internal short could drain it self. Charge the battery up over night or for about 4 hrs check the voltage then come back in about and hour and test again. Please don't use the dash gauge for this test use a multimeter. If you see a drop in voltage of a volt or two then I would think that would be the cause. Disconect either the ground or postive durning this test to remove the eletrical system from drawing power from the battery.

Sound like the auto shut down relay isn't disingaging. It could be a smiple has replacing the relay has to replacing the alternator. Hrere is something to look at too on the conection for the alternator there are two little wires on the back make sure one of them isn't broken.

And follow the advice above about one fuse at a time. I you don't have ammeter you can get by with a dvm just hook it up accross the battery and watch for a jump in volage when you are removing the fuses. A large jump of about a full volt would indicate where your problem would be a .1 voltage change I would almost say that could be nothing more than a single light on. But dieing in about two hours would be a bigger draw than that light bulb type of draw.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts