Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
broken
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so tomarrow my donor jeep gets here!:woot: what do i have to keep from my old motor? it's a 2.5 ( both) and mine is ready to pull. beyond keeping stuff what else should i do while it apart? i'm in way over my head but that the phun part:sonicjay: i have some things i pri should do but i'd rather here some input first! thanks
aron

-aron ( just for ff)

·
broken
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any one?

·
broken
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:confused:

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
basics.

waterpump, thermostat, manifold gasket, and check the front and rear mains, along with the head gasket behind the distributor (there is 1/4" or so of gasket that just seals the oil/ lifter side that is known to develop leaks.)

the rest is just as easy to do on vehicle

do a tune up while you're at it. Try to get a brass terminal cap. The aluminum ones suck(corrode fast)

·
broken
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the donor is now a 94!!!! i thought it was a 97 but it's not!! can i still use the top end of the 98? i need to change all the gaskets and all of the wiring is way diffarent!!am i phuked?

·
Kicking Cancers ASS
10,529 Posts
NO it will be fine. I just put one out of a 94 in my wifes 01 and it went fine. Use the block and head off of the 94 and oil pan off of your jeep. Your exhaust will hit on the older pan. There is one little thing on the front of the block that has to be cut off because it hits the belt but that is it. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Best Car & Motorcycle Insurance | Auto/Moto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
broken
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NO it will be fine. I just put one out of a 94 in my wifes 01 and it went fine. Use the block and head off of the 94 and oil pan off of your jeep. Your exhaust will hit on the older pan. There is one little thing on the front of the block that has to be cut off because it hits the belt but that is it. Let me know if you have any more questions.
wish i would have read that before!!:sonicjay: you are exactaly right! i didn't change my pan so i had to extend my exaust about a foot but it will work:sonicjay:

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
I did it the other way. I put a 98 2.5L TJ engine in my 94 2.5L YJ. Keep the head/engine matched up or you're messing with valvetrain issues. You can ask Muddy Maki about that (he put my 94 YJ 2.5L in his 97 TJ after he rebuilt it, interchanged heads, and ended up with excessive valve slap/noise). It is not hard to modify the entire engine to swap over easily. 2 differences that I remember:

94 2.5L-temp guage sensor is in the back of the head next to the firewall in a 1/8 npt threaded hole.
98 2.5L-temp guage sensor is in the thermostat housing.
Fix (for you, going from 94-98 2.5Ls)-put a brass 1/8 npt pipe plug in the sensor hole and use your thermostat housing on the 94 head (with a new gasket). This assures that you won't be changing the valve lash by interchanging heads/pushrods/lifters, etc.

Be sure to use your 2.5L engine mounting brackets on that 94 2.5L. There is a slight difference in length between the years...but the mounts simply bolt up to the engine block with the same bolt pattern and are easily swappable (4 bolts each).

·
broken
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did it the other way. I put a 98 2.5L TJ engine in my 94 2.5L YJ. Keep the head/engine matched up or you're messing with valvetrain issues. You can ask Muddy Maki about that (he put my 94 YJ 2.5L in his 97 TJ after he rebuilt it, interchanged heads, and ended up with excessive valve slap/noise). It is not hard to modify the entire engine to swap over easily. 2 differences that I remember:

94 2.5L-temp guage sensor is in the back of the head next to the firewall in a 1/8 npt threaded hole.
98 2.5L-temp guage sensor is in the thermostat housing.
Fix (for you, going from 94-98 2.5Ls)-put a brass 1/8 npt pipe plug in the sensor hole and use your thermostat housing on the 94 head (with a new gasket). This assures that you won't be changing the valve lash by interchanging heads/pushrods/lifters, etc.

Be sure to use your 2.5L engine mounting brackets on that 94 2.5L. There is a slight difference in length between the years...but the mounts simply bolt up to the engine block with the same bolt pattern and are easily swappable (4 bolts each).

please explain in alot of detail!!! (tempsensor) i had issues but i thought the puter took care of that!! i did no sutch thing:( i kept the sensor in the head from the 94 but hooked nothing to it! temp in the begining was about 100 but i had to rig some shit up because of some brakedg:sonicjay: after i put the new parts on it is reading normal.

·
broken
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh i forgot to say i have no knock or any other noise at this point. execpt for the ring gear i wasted :sonicjay:

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
The 94 2.5L has 2 temp sensors. The one in the thermostat is for the computer. The one in the back of the head is for the guage that is in your dashboard. That changed in the TJs.

·
broken
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so by not changing any thing in the thermostat am i getting a faulse reading?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts