Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem i have a geo tracker im turning into a trail rig the floor in the rear well nevermind wut floor lol anyway does anyone have any ideas wut i could replace it with it really doesnt have very much metal to weld to any ideaz plez help im about ready to say :whiz:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
its jsut sheetmetal, so no different then any other type of bodywrok, really...cut out the rust to get to good material, weld in new sheetmetal...if you dont have the new material, and looking for something cheap, find a hood or trunklid or cut the roof off a pickup cab that is going to scrap...more work that way, but the steel is free....you will also want to bend up and weld in some ribs for strength, since it is the floor...but that could make putting seats in the back a bit difficult...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I actually started doing something along those lines with one that I had, but stole the engine out of it so I scrapped it....I cut the roof at the back of the A pillars so that it would be straight across the back of the windshield frame, then I cut the B pillars so that it would be flat across the back where the hardtop would sit...was then going to finish off the cut edges and install a cage....wasnt going to have any seats in the back, so I didnt really worry about that at all...would have just been cargo area...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
and yes, the sheetmetal from most hoods will be enough, but not if you want to put the rear seats back in...to do that you will need to weld in some u-shaped ribs to stiffen it up, and some plates to bolt the seats to to spread out the stress...if your just going to use it as cargo space for a cooler and basic trail stuff, then yes, but make sure to put in some tiedown points...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya just cooler and sheet thatz it but thanks for the info wut hood would u use like a fullsize chevy or somthing kause its a little thicker or wut would u use

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.