Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello, My name is Adam, im 24 and from Ontario. Ive got a few projects on the go, one of which has just reached completion less a couple little fit and finish things for the road and ones still heavily in the making.

The First started out as a 94 Ford F150 xlt 5.0 Auto. I swapped the body onto a 90 F250 Chassis with a 4 inch body lift, put in a 351w and a S542 5 speed transmission. then i picked up a set of axles from a 78 F250 D60 rear HD D44 front with 4.10:1 gears. go them swapped in while having my leaf springs re-arched, i made a 3" shackle lift in front, mounted new rear-rear leaf mounts at a lower position and ended up with 11" suspension. Made a set of duals for it with magnaflow cats and flowmaster knockoff mufflers and bolted on a set of 39.5x18x15r mickey thompson radial baja's.
This is gonna be my daily driver next month.

When i wanna play in places that paint scratches arent my issue I tow around my first big 4x4 (Donkey).

1978 Ford F150 w/460 C6 trans, 4.56:1 gears, detroit lockers front and rear and it sits on 38.5 Super Swamper TSL's its works great and has proven itself indefinately, i've had this truck for 10 years now and is named Donkey.

and last but not least is my Swamp Bus which is my biggest creation.

This truck is an 87 Ford F150 ext cab long box that i used to mud with stock suspension and really hacked fenders and box sides on 38.5 TSL's (borrowed from Donkey) No Doors or roof and seats 11 YEE HAW!!

So i picked up a 1953 M137 Military 6x6 and got ahold of a new set of 52" Michelins and went to work. I've currently got the 2.5 ton axles mounted, I fabricated a 3 link suspension with 88" long lower control Arms front and Back. its being held up with wood pieces at the moment but i have 8 Air bags from transport trailers, I made a set of blocks so that i can bolt 2 bags together one a top the other which gives me a total of 29" of vertical adjustment. The position the truck is sitting at now is designed for the bags to be able to lift another 10" in the air and the the tires will lift another 6 so shes got a ways to go.

I still have to mount the bags, hook up lines and all the air valves, make steering and brakes. and mount the heavy military T-Case ( Im running it after the factory T-Case Giving me Low and LOWER, and then lastly i have a 96 Body for it in nice shape.

Hopefully she will be done next year.

thanks for reading.
Donkey

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should really find some springs for the front to replace the blocks.
Well actually those blocks are my spring perches, there welded right onto the axle, the leaf springs are different widths from the old axles to this frame, and i thought that might be an easy way to get a couple more inches and not really lose the sturdyness that usual blocks would.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
There was once a swampdonkey in kalamazoo. It had catostrophic failure and ran into a lay's potato chip truck. I hope you have better luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no worries about that drag link, my front springs are extremely stiff and will give me very little bump steer if any, and as for strength, that weld is easily as strong as the original steel. Me and my brother built a jeep with a very similar setup and it drove great down the road,

and thanks bronco and cracker for ur comments

·
asshatt
54 Posts
looks ok up to 35's to me. its a good way to deal with links, been doing it similar for 20+ years. no potato chip trucks been injured so far.

anything more then that and i would have to have full hydro for drivin round town and to the trails with 40's...

·
used to be Ironman
3,215 Posts
whoa ironman you really think your somethin special dont ya, i've got my tickets to know what i can and cant weld

I know you dont live in this country but your pos would not be legal here in MI

Taken from MI vehicle code
"All steering components shall be geometrically arranged to function as original equipment manufacture. Welded pitman arms, drag links, and tie rods are prohibited. All parts used to modify the original suspension or height of a motor vehicle shall be factory manufactured and shall meet or exceed the original manufacturer's specifications."

The only ticket you will have mister smart welder guy is the one that you get when you wreck your junk and OPP writes you one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well congrads for MI!! i gladly live in Ontario and I've experianced this way of doing steering and it works fine on the road. so if my biggest worry is not passing a michigan safety check, big deal

·
Yooper In Training
7,060 Posts
Holy inbred hell

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
welcome to the site:rock:
iam getting ready to build an elcamino on 52's this winter and i see alot of ideas i can use for my rig
like welding the blocks to the axles i never thought of that i guess it wouldnt be stacking them if one was welded easy way to get 6 inches of lift for 40 bucks or so

now i just have to find some 17inch long bolts for my body lift
a

1 - 20 of 101 Posts