Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm thinking I have a broken valve or something because the timing is steady (with a light). It will run smooth for a spell, then start back firing pretty bad, stalling, then it will smooth out again.

Any heads up suggestions before I tear into it?

·
TorgFab
191 Posts
Vacuum gauge..... If it's steady it's an ignition problem if it's shaking all over the place it's a valve train problem. :poke:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. Okay. I need some direction from some seasoned troubleshooters.

Vacuum held steady during backfires so I figured I had a ignition issue. Replaced cap, rotor, wires, plugs. Everything except coil. (hmm)

I noticed some water blowing out of tail pipe. Didn't seem like the normal condensation you get. So with that and the backfire, I decided to just pull the head, do a value job and be done with it.

I get it all back together. Runs great in the garage. I let it run for about 30 minutes to check coolant levels and such. Awesome

I take it for a spin and after about 5 miles, it starts doing the same thing again. (Nice going einstein. You did all that for nothing.)

I need a clue. I'll take a couple if you have some.

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
sounds like it might be getting too much fuel

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'm done guessing. Too expensive. I need a method to start troubleshooting and frankly, I don't know where to start.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Just a thought have you checked that the plug wires are on correct? Proper firing order. I had someone mess with mine once and it acted similar to yours.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Timing is bouncing a little. When it misses and backfires, timing moves even more.
ONLY HAPPENS when its at temperature. Cold, it runs great.

I'm going to replace the distributor. One at auto zone comes with a new module. I figured it will eliminate two things. Module and cam drive gear.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tackle next. (...new engine...jeez)

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
Maybe a worn timing chain but I wouldn't think so because it stays running

If it comes to it I have motor that just needs an oil pan.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts