Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife met me at work, and then followed me home with the car. After it gets home, I am going to leave to go visit family and the car starts running rough, hardly idling. Almost like it is misfiring. Then it smells of sulfur.

Catalytic Converter Right?

Car only has 65k on the odo. I have had issues with the spring pins contracting in water and causing a loud exhaust.

Anything else to look for or am I peggin it right? Quick fix till I can get it to WB to fix it?

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump for the morning crowd. I was told that when the car cooled off, if the converter, it should be running ok.

If that is true then I don't know what it is because it is still running for piss.

·
Silver Lake
6,547 Posts
Hot or cold shouldn't matter. I had a similar issue on the wife's XJ. Once the inside walls colapse and stay that way, it'll run like crap. Just make sure that once you cut the cat. off and replace it that you turn the old one in for scrap. I got $63 out of my old one at the scrap metal place :woot:

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone in the area make me a test pipe so i can drive this north and put the cat back on?

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also, what if i took my sawzall and cut out the side, could i empty the fucker then wrap it for a short term fix?

Someone worried me with talks of intake melting or head gasket. :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
anyone in the area make me a test pipe so i can drive this north and put the cat back on?
There's a few shops in my area that might be able to help, but I'm 1/2 hour s of Sagnasty.

It's be pretty easy to rig up a temporary test pipe outta some of that silver colored flexible exhaust pipe that autozone sells, though.

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have not confirmed or denied the converter, however, I have tested the coil pack and ignition module and they are fine. It has a definate miss and I am trying to figure out the possible things before I try to drive or haul it to my dads.

Any thoughts.

·
The Man Myth And Legend
5,133 Posts
i had the same problem with an old grandam i had. but my was a coil pack it sparked but it was weak as hell..

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,272 Posts
how does the pressue feel out of the back of the tail pipe

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the link. Sounds it could be an O2 even though its not flashing the check engine light on.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Unless the engine light doesn't work its not coming on, thus I doubt its throwing a code.
Not every sensor throws a code. I have run into many situation of engines running like crap and no codes. Even a malfunctioning ignition module. Funny - even home/fileserver computers are like that.

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The module was tested yesterday at the parts place. We ran it for 30 minutes so it was warm.

The coil I replaced and it made no diff so I took it back :)

I think I might do an O2 sensor. I will use bosch in the short term and save me the cash right now. Replace later with a delco, apparently they have a lower failure rate.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The module was tested yesterday at the parts place. We ran it for 30 minutes so it was warm.

The coil I replaced and it made no diff so I took it back :)

I think I might do an O2 sensor. I will use bosch in the short term and save me the cash right now. Replace later with a delco, apparently they have a lower failure rate.
You also have a spark modulator - right? Best thing to do is hook it up to a reader so you can see when the circuit opens and closes - if it stays open you are in a rich fuel situation.

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You also have a spark modulator - right? Best thing to do is hook it up to a reader so you can see when the circuit opens and closes - if it stays open you are in a rich fuel situation.
Is that the same as ignition module? or is it something else?

The Ign. module tested fine

1 - 20 of 20 Posts