Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wagoneer will not start. I have replaced battery, ingniton switch and key lock cylinder. What happens is when I turn the key all the way to start I get nothing but then release key as if the jeep started it will then start turning over and not stop until I turn it off. This is only my first problem to solve because the jeep won't start even when it turns over. I bought the Jeep as is and at the time it was not running. I also noticed a fuseable link that is not attached to the started relay which is brown 14 guage and then runs into a red wire. I don't have any idea what it is for and can not find it in my Chilton Book. Please Help

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would start by tracing the wire from starter and see what its hooked to. Does your coil have power in both the start and run positions of the key? My guess is the stater realay is getting power during run and not start like it should. Once you get that figured out then figure out why it does not run. There are fuseable links for a lot of things in these truck, power seats, ect. So it might not be needed, but it might be important. There is a mile of wire under the hood of these things, good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so you don't think its the relay? If thats the case then I'm thinking its the Starter and selenoid

·
Registered
447 Posts
The starter seems to be working fine, its just not working at the right time, you need to trace the little wire from the starter and see where its getting power from. Thats what triggers the starter to engauge. to me its sounds like its not wired correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think i solved the problem. I swapped the ignition wire and the coil wire on the Starter Relay. Now igniton works fine and jeep turns over and shuts off right. Now I need to get this thing started

1 - 5 of 5 Posts