Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to get the rivets out? Theyre alot bigger than the ones on the uppers, and I been drilling and pounding for a couple hours on ONE and it aint budged.. I was able to get the uppers out - kinda tough but I got it.. These lowers are a nightmare.. roadhouse

·
Registered
296 Posts
Back in the day when I was doing them under warranty....I drilled all the way trough them. Don't remember what size, but about half the diameter of rivet. This helped relieve some pressure of rivet, and them drive out with air chisel.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,727 Posts
I did quite a few of those, the best advice I can give is; the bigger you drill them out, the easier they will be to pound out.

Seriously, once you get that first hole drilled (which is a number one must do), drill it out to at least half the diameter of the rivet. Then it should pop out pretty easily. I wouldn't use heat IMO; heated up the rivet could gall and bunch up inside the LCA. I had that happen only once, but it made the job 10x harder.

Cut the cross hatch in the head, then use a air chisel to cut the heads off (or a grinder works too) flush with the LCS, then mark center with a punch and drill, then drill again, one more time, and finally drill it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts