Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1989 Toyota truck and i have had no problems with the starting until now. when i t got really cold it started making a clicking noise when i hold the button and turn the key. i know your not supposed to hold the button but that's the only i could get it to start. after some driving i stalled it and haven't been able to get it started. i suspect a solenoid or starter problem but i cant find the starter in the dark and i don't see any pictures in the haynes manual.

any ideas why it wont start?
where is the starter located?

i think its on the front of the bell housing buried between the front suspension and the engine, but i shouldn't tell for certain with the fading light. i have never had a problem finding a starter before.

·
Live Action!
15,748 Posts
Try charging the battery first, might need a new one.

Otherwise try banging on the starter with a hammer, not too hard.

I had that problem once when I went to start my Toyota after crossing over to Harsens Island and needed to drive off the ferry. Just needed to smack the starter with a hammer a few times and it never did it again.

If you cant find the starter than you are screwed. :teehee:

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
Try charging the battery first, might need a new one.
x2

Put it on a charger and if it will start, the battery might be going bad, or your alternator isnt charging it enough. Check both.

Mines doing the same thing right now, my battery isnt taking a charge. I just rebuilt my alternator, so I know that isnt the problem.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it was sitting in the middle of the back yard when i shut it off. I let it sit there over night. i went out about an hour ago and it kicked right over. it was a little warmer out than when i parked it. i turned it off in the yard because it was over heating, i think the clutch on the fan is all messed up, would over heating cause it to not start properly? i don't think it has anything to do with cranking amps, i just put a new to me battery in that's about 6 months old, that was purchased for an '01 ford super duty Diesel, i put it on the charger over night so i dont hink the battery is the issue

if it matters it already has over 280,000 miles on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.