Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought my first jeep..a 1988 wrangler.. It had the 2.5 4 cyl 5 spd...my question offs, how hard works it be to put the straight 6 in?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Not hard if you can wrench. Some will tell you to get rid of that jeep and just buy one that already has the 4L in it. I would have to agree. I put a 350 in mine and it wasn't that hard. Just took a while since i did it by myself.

·
Hang all the thieves
1,760 Posts
Looking for a wrecked donor would probably be the easiest, in providing everything that you would need for the swap.

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
You also need to weld because the frame side motor mounts are in different locations

·
Registered
104 Posts
i put a 4cyl into a frame that had the 4.2 I6 in it, it was easy because i was swaping everything..i did have to cut and break the motor mount welds on the frame and relocate them. I used imaginary lines off of another parts jeep i had that had a 4cyl in it. my recommendation is if you decide to do that, relocate them and tac weld them then put your motor and trans and tcase in to make sure it all turn out right. but keep the cherry picker hooked on the motor for support. once its all in place and works good, then finish welding in the mounts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts