Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For inspection I need my speedometer in the jeep semi accurate so I need to swap my speedo gear in my 231 transfer case.

Would an 1988 have a long shaft speedo gear? Thats at least what I have found on the interwebz.

Thanks!

·
Little Member
23,794 Posts
Should be long. They have a part by the transfer case for the cruise if memory serves. Is yours electronic or cable speedo? I know newer ones get the short, but the middle years are shaky.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine has a mechanical speedometer and no cruise control. I just don't want to pull it apart until I actually get the part.

·
Little Member
23,794 Posts
You're aware of the numbers on top? This is on a curve so it takes all the gears and you turn it for your gear number.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're aware of the numbers on top? This is on a curve so it takes all the gears and you turn it for your gear number.
I never knew that. I was wondering how the gears would mesh up with a different sized gear. Any good write ups on aligning the housing?

·
Little Member
23,794 Posts
You notice the slots? The retainer fits into those slots and there are little marks between the big slots you align with the retainer bolt. Line it up with your gear. I put a small screw driver to check it before it was cinched down. I'll see if there is a write up for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts