Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok i have a 88 jeep and it will start but if i let go of the key it shuts off. if i hold the key in the start post. it stays running but if i try to shift out of park it will shut off. any ideas. thanks

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
bad starter switch, possibly neutral safety switch shorting something out would be my first 2 guesses

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried a new key switch and that didnt work. if i'm in neutral and try to start it i have to mess with the shifter for it to roll over. thats y i think its the neutral switch

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so i tried to hot wire it so the ignition was not a factor and it will start but as soon as i take the starter wire off the hot wire it will shut off. so where is the starter switch located? or are you taking about the key? i need help bad guys someone has to have an idea....

·
Registered
98 Posts
if this is a yj , i had the same problem with mine. it turned out to be the ignition switch, it is located on top of the steering collom under the dash. if that doesnt fix it there is alsoa solenoid on the firewall just below the battery

·
BUILD BY ME NOT BOUGHT!
578 Posts
its a xj but i tried the switch on the column that didnt work so i bypassed that switch and that didnt work. i found a short by that relay. where all the fusable links are. i will have to find out which wire is shorting out and fix it and i'm going to replace that relay while i'm there. i hope that works i want to test that thing out i just got it. i didnt think the problem was going to be so difficult.

·
BUILD BY ME NOT BOUGHT!
578 Posts
jeep will die when i take it out of park???

it runs fine until i take it out of park. anyone know what it could be? i'm thinking the neutral switch. can i remove that its the one on the right side of the tranny.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts