Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
701 - 720 of 749 Posts

·
American
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #701 ·
Very cool! Seems it has become pretty reliable. Will have to link up with you next year for some off road adventures.

what kind of winter upgrades are you planning ?
Thanks! And it has. It’s amazing what money will do when you start buying fancy parts. This winter I’m going to rework parts of the cage, build better skid plates, work on an internal cage and a sectioned panel floor, as well as hopefully upgrade to 2.5 C/O’s in the rear.

I will also hopefully be getting the 408 stroker put together and drivetrain installed in stephs bronco so we’ll have a party vehicle for the dunes next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,185 Posts
Thanks! And it has. It’s amazing what money will do when you start buying fancy parts. This winter I’m going to rework parts of the cage, build better skid plates, work on an internal cage and a sectioned panel floor, as well as hopefully upgrade to 2.5 C/O’s in the rear.

I will also hopefully be getting the 408 stroker put together and drivetrain installed in stephs bronco so we’ll have a party vehicle for the dunes next year.

Yeah I hear you on fancy parts! I'm enjoying buying nice quality stuff and doing the job correct the first time...not getting by with the money you have and going back 4 times to finally fix it.

I need to build some nice skids as well when I get back from the dunes. Hopefully the backorder issues with the coilovers are not so bad these days!

mmmm 408 would be sexy! I plan to do heads and a cam over the winter if everything else holds. You'll be Jeep and Ford poor now! lol.Love the Broncos.

Also, I might be up at silver lake for Saturday of applefest weekend, we’ll have to link up then for bombing around the dunes.

I'll probably be heading up Friday Morning. Camp site is at the state grounds on the non lake side in the back loop along the fence line for the overflow lot.

·
American
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #704 ·
Yeah I hear you on fancy parts! I'm enjoying buying nice quality stuff and doing the job correct the first time...not getting by with the money you have and going back 4 times to finally fix it.

I need to build some nice skids as well when I get back from the dunes. Hopefully the backorder issues with the coilovers are not so bad these days!

mmmm 408 would be sexy! I plan to do heads and a cam over the winter if everything else holds. You'll be Jeep and Ford poor now! lol.Love the Broncos.

I'll probably be heading up Friday Morning. Camp site is at the state grounds on the non lake side in the back loop along the fence line for the overflow lot.
Yea my current skids are welded on. I was going to build nice ones but ended up having to do a motor swap 3 days before my badlands trip last year so I just welded the skids on due to lack of time. I tried to do it in a way that would be easy to cut, but we’ll see. Lol.

If I ever get around to working on my new 6.0 I already have the heads and cam for it, along with a couple other goodies. Tonight though Brian is dropping off his U4 car so I imagine any time spent working on wheeling stuff will be on his car prepping for nationals.

Also, prolly not going to make the dunes now. This is one of my last free weekends to prep for hunting season.

·
American
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #705 ·
Lots of things have happened. Brians U4 car was in my shop for a month or two where we did all nationals race prep. Car was stripped down to chassis and motor then built back up with multiple test hits put on it before loading the trailer to head out. To prep mine for U4 nationals I mounted a winch and light bar, made a front bumper, mounted a lowrance, and did other odds and ends.

KOH prep just started tonight in the shop.

Multiple picture dumps coming up.

I fresh wrapped the headers for nationals.

Transmission and atlas installed, through the passenger window, top down into the chassis.

Totes partially loaded ready to head to crossbar ranch in Oklahoma.

Late night work under the tent at nationals

Bumper winch and light bar

Light wired, synthetic rope spooled, and pro link on

We had a team shop night tonight to discuss where to cut the car in half at. KOH prep has started

·
American
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #706 ·
Went up north a couple weeks ago for a fall color tour with some friends. Put about 100 miles on and managed to only hit one tree which ripped the steering wheel out of my hand in a painful way.

·
American
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #709 ·
Well now that it’s official, I can finally post about it…I am taking over co-driver responsibilities in the 896 car for 2022. I’m pretty damn excited to say the least. The last couple weeks I’ve been buying all my safety equipment as well as learning to use LeadNav, which is a very high end GPS navigation tool. We leave for Hammers on the 23rd and will be back sometime in the second week of Feb.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Well now that it’s official, I can finally post about it…I am taking over co-driver responsibilities in the 896 car for 2022. I’m pretty damn excited to say the least. The last couple weeks I’ve been buying all my safety equipment as well as learning to use LeadNav, which is a very high end GPS navigation tool. We leave for Hammers on the 23rd and will be back sometime in the second week of Feb.

That's awesome!

·
American
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #717 ·
Thanks for all the support guys. Here is a direct copy and paste of the race recap I posted on my Facebook:

“This year was my first King of the Hammers experience and I was lucky enough to experience it from the co-driver seat. Multiple days were spent learning a new piece of navigation software, LeadNAV, and it paid off huge. We pre ran every mile of the 156 mile course and ended up with 969 notes. It took hours going through notes, maps, and cleaning up the course file but our effort paid off. Brian was able to make some very clean passes even on blind corners which helped us gain 17 spots, all the way up to 5th place out of 117. Unfortunately, we got aggressive in a nasty rock section and ended up paying for it. It took us an hour to repair the car, and even then we were putting it back together with broken parts. We tried to limp to remote 2, but couldn’t keep parts together long enough. At race mile 113 we called the race, and looped through the open desert to go see our team in remote 2.

Lots of long hours went into getting this car ready and it’s an absolute animal. Unfortunately, we broke more parts than we had spares for. I want to say thanks to Brian Trempe for the opportunity, and Michael Larsen and Brian Veersma for building a hell of a car. Also thanks to Mike Trempe for allowing us to take the lizard so we didn’t beat the hell out of the racecar.

For a full race recap, read Brian’s post I have shared.”

And here’s the race recap Brian posted:

“KOH Recap:
First off I can't thank Michael Larsen, and Brian Veersma enough. They along with countless others rebuilt the car for this race. All new 3.0 IBP King Shocks from Phil Licciardi. With the help of Chris Roes doing his saladworks magic the suspension is on a whole new level. Brian, Mike, Kyle Mallory, Zach VanDyke, John Ramos, and many more put in countless hours. On Jan 22nd Collin Morlock and I drove straight through to King of The Hammers, we started shock tuning as soon as we got there with Phil and right away we were blown away with how fast the car was becoming. We brought my dads buggy to pre run the entire course. With Collin Morlock in charge of the new LeadNav Systems LLC system we ended up with somewhere around 900 notes in 156 miles . Once Jesse Oliver, and Randy Koll, and Dale Stroebel arrived we attempted to pre run to remote pit 1 at race pace to get an idea of fuel mileage. Turns out the car had other plans, we broke a rear axle shaft and noticed a failed rear driveshaft. After a lot of phone calls we got some new ones coming from JEReel.

Qualifying:
We had the advantage of watching most of the morning and decided to change our original plan of hitting the rock wall. We took a somewhat conservative approach and ended up 22nd off the line for the EMC.

Main Race:
We were very happy to start ahead of 117 cars, but we knew we would still have to deal with 21 other cars dust. We cleared turkey claw with no issues but then did our best to relay on our notes and GPS as the dust was the worst I've ever seen. We had no issues through remote 1, then on the way to cougar butes we collided with another car and our drivers rear tire paid the price. Quick change and we were off. Pre running paid off huge in cougar butes, we had noted lines that allowed us to pass 4 cars and gain clean air to get us back to remote 1 where we took fuel from Troy Carr, Jeff Pratt, and Cory Carlton. We made great time on this leg really stretching the cars legs and it was clear sailing back to main pit. We stopped as the power port had failed and the ipad was dead. Michael Larsen, Garrett Toombs, Kyle Sundstrom, Todd Fifield, Jacob Tuma dove in to help out, making sure every nut and bolt was holding on. Off we went back into turkey claw where we made some clean passes to give us clean air all the way to remote 1 again. We took fuel again and headed out to hit the rocks. We cleared the first couple trails, but then in outer limits I took a bad line and the rear driveshaft landed on a rock, breaking the rear axle yoke. (We had made it up to 5th place on corrected time) We were able to get the spare shaft in and make it to the bottom of the canyon but then it went flying out of the car. We made the decision to call our race at that point. We limped the car to remote 2 off course to help our teammates Jesse Oliver and Randy Koll. So proud to see those guys at the finish line!

Thank you to all that helped us! Megan Trempe is an angel to put up with all this!

Also shoutout to John Mathews for taking the time to help us out on outer limits and yet still go on to win his class!
Thank you DirtNation for the pics!

#jeeparmory
#falkentires
#kingshocks
#ironmanoffroad
#offroadanonymous
#dynamicperformance
#edmundsspeedshop
#warnindustries
#prpseats
#optimabatteries
#metrofabcustoms
#epicentergraphics
#visionwheels “

·
American
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #718 ·
Are you going Nexgen for head and neck restraint? Shock Therapy guys recently hit a cow at ~90MPH in a SXS and walked away. He gave a lot of credit to his Nexgen.

Video below:

I used the Simpson Hybrid, which was preferred at the time; but I've heard lots of good around the Nexgen.
Yes, Brian and I both run Necksgen. Necksgen actually just released the “rally pad” that attaches to the restraint and allows you to wear it around similar to the Simpson. I’m debating buying that so if I have to get out during the race it’s just taking my helmet on and off.

701 - 720 of 749 Posts