Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
681 - 700 of 707 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,017 Posts
Glad to see you had fun and everything held up. Guessing the tire with the patch was ok?

Steph is laying down some nice welds for sure. Better than I can do at times. You have the lincoln 210?

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,653 Posts
I’m not getting into the political stuff, but “MI team” is 3 cars. Brian Trempe, Jacob Tuma, and Jesse Oliver. Casey opted out of being part of the team from what I’m told I have no idea why.

But yes, Jacob’s car pre ran the course probably 5 times but unfortunately had electrical issues causing him to miss qualifying and then only made it a couple miles into the big race due to a mechanical failure. So for “MI team” only one of the three cars finished the race, but if you’re counting all Michigan teams then yes, Casey did win 4800. It wasn’t even close a close race and honestly it was kind of funny listening to his pit crew telling him to slow down because he had such a lead. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know Jacob and didn't know he was racing but sorry to hear about his bad luck.

As far as politics, I don't give a shit. Casey is from Michigan and has been racing Ultra 4 longer than any of the other guys. I help both Casey and Jess with their cars. I have pitted for both Casey and Jess in the early days. Brian is running an engine that he bought from Casey. They are all from Michigan, I have rec wheeled with all of them (including Randy and Jamie) and they are all my friends and I follow them all. So for me, leaving Casey out of an update when referring to "MICHIGAN" teams is a slight and is a disservice to the people here who you are giving an update.

·
American
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 ·
Glad to see you had fun and everything held up. Guessing the tire with the patch was ok?

Steph is laying down some nice welds for sure. Better than I can do at times. You have the lincoln 210?
The three tires I had hot vulcanized never even had to get taken off the trailer, I had a good weekend with tires. I have one tire on the buggy with cold vulcanizing and it’s holding up fine so far.

And yea she impressing me that’s for sure, but remember she’s practicing on a table and can set it up to be as comfy as she wants. This isn’t crawling through an engine bay laying on her side lol.
Yes Lincoln mp210 with Lincoln .035 wire.

·
American
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
The week after the Rush race myself, a group of buddies and my wife went to The badlands in Indiana for a weekend of wheeling. It was an absolute blast. My favorite part was watching friends who had never gone rock crawling before, beat on the buggy. I took a long tumble down one of the rock faces in the quarry, but after a couple rolls we flipped it back upright and kept wheeling.

Pete was loving driving. Other than his truck at silver lake, he’s never driven anything more than his four wheeler offroad. He was grinning ear to ear, only took getting stuck once to realize he needed to put the tires on the big rocks instead of smashing the axles into them.

·
American
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #686 ·
Hell yea! Thanks. Since I finished it in October I’ve done nothing other than maintenance and upgrades. Steph even bundled up in my hunting gear to go out and wash it between the last couple trips.

The only issue it’s had is I filled my master cylinder with air while rolling since I thought hitting the brakes while upside down would help. Lol.

I ordered a bunch of LS parts earlier this week, and need to order new Wilwood dual master cylinder and pedal set up soon. I think that’ll be my next major upgrade

·
American
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 ·
Ever since I put the first set of 8 lug axles under this thing 7 years ago, I’ve had poor pedal feel. The stock Jk master just doesn’t move enough fluid for solid pedal feel with big brakes. After driving Brian’s U4 car around at Rush, I couldn’t believe how nice his new brake set up was. It took a quick second to get use to the feel of a manual pedal over vacuum boosted but the performance was great.

·
American
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #689 ·
Couple weeks ago we picked up an offroad toy for my wife, a 1978 Bronco. It’s just a roller chassis, but she’s beyond excited. For motor I’m going to be ordering the summit pro LS 408 stroker kit for my blown up 6.0 I have sitting in the garage. She wants a reverse manual valve body just like my Jeep, but since the goal is for this to be street friendly I’m going to have a 4l80 with a RMVB built for her. Probably going to just use a Chevy 241 t case, unless I find another sweet deal on a used atlas, or order myself a race case and give her my 3:1.

Hoping to get drivetrain in it this winter so it’ll be driveable next summer. Then next winter it’s getting coilovers and bypasses up front, maybe trailing arm rear or maybe deavers and bypasses rear I haven’t decided yet. Also next winter her brother will be touching up the body giving it a full paint job. The goal is for this thing to be streetable when it’s all said and done, we’ll see what happens.

·
American
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #690 ·
Wednesday we’re headed to AOP for the U4 race with MI team. I’ve got a little bit of cage work and suspension work I want to do this weekend, and potentially will end up up north helping get Brian’s car done as well. My buggy will be riding down in his enclosed so I only have to tow my camper south, which will be nice.

I also might try to mess with my holley and use it to trigger my fan instead of a toggle switch, at Rush a month ago I forgot to turn my fan on until the engine started blowing off steam, when I looked down at the holley I was at 296°. Luckily no damage!

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,017 Posts
Looking good man! I would love to build a Bronco. I know you said that is something she always wanted. So badass of you to make that happen.

Ahh...the I forgot to turn the fans on..... that has got me into trouble a lot while at silver lake. I finally had my computer control it and never looked back. I'll have my computer control my cooling fans and also the fan for the trans.

·
American
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
Yea she’s stoked. Also she can’t be mad when I go drop $20k for parts in a month, since she has a money pit as well now.

And yea, for now I might just make the relay ignition hot trigger since I always run the fan anyways.

·
American
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #693 ·
We’ll I successfully got ZERO work done on my buggy this weekend. But I did however get a shit ton of work done on Brian Trempe’s 896 car. I spent most of my weekend at the jeep armory lending a hand with repairs after he totaled it at the last race. New Reid trans installed, new tube work, all new rear suspension and full drivetrain mounts, new driveshafts, full new rear axle, etc. Tube chassis are cool until it’s time to repair stuff, I was struggling to get good angles with the mig gun when welding in the carrier bearing and new tube work.

It was a good feeling when the 408 fired up to start running the fresh trans through the gears.

·
American
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #698 ·
Fun fact, Allegan county where I live is going ORV legal starting July 1. That’ll make it nice to just go for a cruise, plus I have buddies in the area I’ll be able to rip the buggy back and forth without having to trailer it.

Last night I got my cage to frame tie in gussets welded in as well as finished the handle bars for steph. She’s been asking for these ever since the first time we rolled and she smacked her elbow off the door. Also, I drove about 3 miles at 80+ mph and my new soft top held up fine, no snaps came undone. It’s a bit disheveled but at least it stayed put!

·
American
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 ·
Nothing crazy the last couple months, I think I’ve gone wheeling 6-7 times. Longest trip was AOP for 4 days when we went down to the ultra 4 race, which we barely made it to due to how much work it was rebuilding Brian’s car after the last race, we literally finished the car in the pits at AOP. I managed to pre-run the entire course without losing a single tire. On race day though our team went through 7 tires I believe. In the last week I’ve gone to silver lake, holly oaks, and raced the tuff truck at hudsonville fair grounds where I got $100 for first place. Also have gotten a couple promotions at work, which will be nice for buying parts. Lol.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,017 Posts
Very cool! Seems it has become pretty reliable. Will have to link up with you next year for some off road adventures.

what kind of winter upgrades are you planning ?

681 - 700 of 707 Posts