Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

581 - 600 of 613 Posts

·
American
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
Had a good time this past weekend at Rouch. Place is tiny but I got to wheel with a buddy I have wheeled with in 5-6 years so that was a plus.

This Saturday the wife and I are headed to bundy if anyone wants to join. Meeting up with some of the bundy hull crew at noon.

Also potentially going up to White cloud trail riding this Wednesday/Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
American
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #583
Sorry somehow missed this until just now...White Cloud was great. I called my wife's boss (without her knowing) and got her a free half day of vacation, so we took a Wednesday afternoon off to go trail riding. Put in probably 30-50 miles over a couple hours, it was a good day.

Bundy was also a good time, it felt good to get back out there with the Jeep now that it's ready to rock. Also was a good time wheeling with a couple people I haven't ever wheeled with or haven't gotten to in years like Jake and Corey.

While at Bundy I also picked up my new to me 37s, so my 38s are currently for sale if anyone is interested.

·
American
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #584
Trail riding in White Cloud

This is the only Bundy pic I have from after I popped the grill off.

Tars

·
American
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #586
If anyone in West Michigan needs tires vulcanized, I’m taking a load of tires down to Chris Roes this coming weekend. If anyone wants to throw a tire in my bed and a couple bucks for fuel, let me know.

·
American
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
Got a wheeling trip lined up for bundy hill on New Year’s Day...got a few things I need to do by then but nothing major.

Still looking for another 6.0, hoping to have one bought, built, and swapped in by the hill climbs in March.

·
American
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #588 (Edited)
Hope everyone had a good Christmas. Currently inspecting all my tires and marking cuts for vulcanizing, check out the size difference between a 38” Falken and a 37” bias trep.

·
American
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #589
Mounted the beadlocks today. Gotta pick up bolts for the raceline tomorrow. I’m hoping the one radial I have on an ATX will be swapped out for a soon to be repaired bias ply. It’s insane the difference in sidewall tread, the radial is non existent.

·
American
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #591
Tested out the new tires this morning. Amazing in snow and cold compared to my old ones. Pulled into the garage now to take care of a couple items before reject run.

Also I’m pretty happy that with no balance beads these tires still run 70mph down the road without issue, took a little trip to the hardware store.

Edit: ignore the POS radial on passenger front. Waiting on other tires to get vulcanized then that’ll be moved to a spare beadlock and kept on the trailer.

·
American
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #593
I had on hunting bibs and a hoodie...but yea, I’ve been warmer. Lol. I just love driving this thing

·
American
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #594
Put new springs in the rear yesterday. Went from 100/100 with 3” of preload and still sagging to 125/150 and no preload, Jeep sits level now. These were brand new springs I had sitting around, so I expect they’ll settle a bit and I’ll adjust the preload to compensate.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,527 Posts
Great build and updates.

Is there a good place where people have documented what spring rates worked for them? I hope to go to coilovers down the road.

My junk =
YJ 5.3 / 4l60 / 231
Front = 44HP 3 link
Rear = 9 inch 4 link
35 inch tires
Mostly used for trails and the dunes.

Thanks

·
Gustafson
9,406 Posts
Thanks for the updates!

I am curious to see how much the new springs settle.

·
American
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #597
Great build and updates.

Is there a good place where people have documented what spring rates worked for them? I hope to go to coilovers down the road.

My junk =
YJ 5.3 / 4l60 / 231
Front = 44HP 3 link
Rear = 9 inch 4 link
35 inch tires
Mostly used for trails and the dunes.

Thanks
Thanks! And not exactly, but you can roughly calculate spring compression at ride height if you know what everything unsprung weighs. Or, slap on a set of springs you think will be good and if they’re not what you’re after, you can calculate from there.

·
American
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #598
Thanks for the updates!

I am curious to see how much the new springs settle.
No problem!

Same. According to my math, I should have only gained about 1.7” of ride height so I expect them to settle some. They definitely did settle after riding this weekend, but I didn’t get a chance to measure before tearing the front end apart.

·
American
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #599 (Edited)
Latest update tonight, I ported my stock power steering pump fitting from .150” to .190” at Kyle M’s recommendation, holy shit my hydro is 10x better from what I can tell sitting in the garage. There’s a few other tricks I can try, but this free mod was definitely worth it.

Before:

After:

·
Gustafson
9,406 Posts
That's awesome!

I'm interested to see if you notice a difference out on the trails.

581 - 600 of 613 Posts