Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

501 - 520 of 537 Posts

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,815 Posts
I think I already told you what I thought. The SS2 cam shifts the rpm range a little too high for what we do IMO. Yes, it'll rip your face off from 4500-7000 but by the time you're too that point it's a crap shoot anyway. Sounds cool. The picture isn't my spreadsheet and it was built for boosted applications but it gives you some idea of the difference between a SS2 and SS1 cam as well as LS3,6,7,9 ect. In a car you make up for it with the converter but with what we do, converter is heat and heat is bad so it's a system that you have to balance. That probably wasn't the spoon you were hoping to eat from.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I think I already told you what I thought. The SS2 cam shifts the rpm range a little too high for what we do IMO. Yes, it'll rip your face off from 4500-7000 but by the time you're too that point it's a crap shoot anyway. Sounds cool. The picture isn't my spreadsheet and it was built for boosted applications but it gives you some idea of the difference between a SS2 and SS1 cam as well as LS3,6,7,9 ect. In a car you make up for it with the converter but with what we do, converter is heat and heat is bad so it's a system that you have to balance. That probably wasn't the spoon you were hoping to eat from.
I have the TSP 224r cam in my 5.3 and it definitely shifted the RPM range higher than I would have really wanted. It definitely rips my face off past 4000 rpm, which is awesome, but there has been times where I wish I had more power down low. I'm hoping the LS9 cam I put in my willys LS motor holds some of the power down low but unfortunately it will be a while til I get to test that one out..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Low Range Drifter
8,116 Posts
Old race motor was an LS2 with trick flow heads and name brand Sloppy Stage 2 cam. For racing it was great. Also very enjoyable for hill killing. Didn't seem bad off idle, but definitely not stock. I think it was chipped at 6500rpm. Pulled hard, worked well with 2500 stall converter and full manual valve body.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Well my jeep is kind of a pain to rock crawl with but it rips in a straight line and has plenty of power to run in high range with the 42s. Im running a 5.7 ls1 with the summit stage 3 .612 lift 236/246 with a 2800 stall convertor.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
American
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
Got it out. Took a little less than 4 hours including completely gutting the engine bay of all factory equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
American
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #508
In process of acquiring a new to me front axle. 05+ super duty, RCVs, full Artec trusses already set up for 4 link, etc. Just need to sell a few more parts which should hopefully happen this week.

In the past week or so I’ve picked up a turbo 400, 203, and 205. I don’t plan on keeping the 203, but the seller wouldn’t separate.

My current front king pin 60 is for sale if anyone is interested.

·
American
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #509
Sold my front axle and and engine all in the last couple days. Good bye kingpins and chromolys hello 05 ball joints and RCVs.

·
American
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
This was a cheap box of parts....but really, got a truck cam kit with blue LS6 springs and hat seals for $375. Plus whatever other BTR valve train components were available in chromoly.

Holley Terminator is ordered and on the way as well from the same guy.

501 - 520 of 537 Posts