Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked up 8.8 axel on google and I found a artical saying 97 and newer explorers have 8.8's and not to use rangers because they have a smaller dia.!
Maybe I miss read? Could sombody clear this up for me. I want to go look at some fords today for new axels.

Thanks Chris

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
The Rangers' 8.8 come with 28 spline shafts.

Any Exploder comes with 31 spline shafts, but the second gen body style (94 and up?) had disc brakes.

·
We Like it Loud
353 Posts
Rangers came with 28 spline units and 3" diameter axle tubes (except the FX4 models which had the 31 spline units). All explorers came with the 31 spline axle shafts and 3 1/4" diameter axle tubes, they came with drum brakes 91-94 and then were given disks. The disk breaks are a direct bolt on to the drum break version.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I have a YJ with 33's and a 3.5" lift I want to do a soa conversion on it and put a 8.8 rear end in it. what be the best ford to get my axel out of? Or is there not really a big differance between them? Other than disc and drum.

·
Todd
1,077 Posts
explorers and rangers with an 8.8 are narrower then an 8.8 from a full size for like an f150 or bronco. so i would go with an explorer or ranger axle

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about v8's? I was told that the v8 explorer had a 8.8 but it was disc. Correct or not? Also is there a certian year to get them out of?

·
YJ now
1,408 Posts
watch trucks right know that is what they are doing. But just get the explorer axle with disks, there are plenty of them out there and are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok and thatnks for all the help you guys. Gonna go dig thru the snow. Ant thing you guys looking for I can watch for it while Im already ass deap in snow. lol
Once again thanks alot
Chris

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
They bend axleshafts like crazy. Make sure you don't get one with a rear end hit. I stopped selling 8.8s due to all the extra shafts I had to get from the JY. (I always made sure I never pulled on from a rear or side collision.) I had about a 12% rate for bent or tweaked shafts on just over 10 8.8s. I have now sold over 30 XJ D44s and have yet to have one with a bent shaft.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok . So would I be better off going with an xj d44? And could I par it with my d30 ? And that should already have the pearches on the top and correct width right?

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Ok . So would I be better off going with an xj d44? And could I par it with my d30 ? And that should already have the pearches on the top and correct width right?
That would be personal opinion. I think so, but I am in the minority on this- you need to form your own opinion. XJ D44s are the exact same witch as your Wrangler's D35, and spring over, but the spring perches do not have the same spacing as your Wrangler. IMHO, a D44 from a Comanche would be a better swap for a Wrangler, as they don't have shock mounts from the factory, thus there is less for you to hack off to swap it in. The Comanche (MJ) D44 is exactly the same as the XJ D44, except for the perches and lack of shock mounts. (MJs are spring under)

In the interest of full disclosure, I have a MJ D44 for sale at this time, but it won't be as cheap as finding a 8.8 in the JY or online. ($300) Of course, I have been touting the D44 over the 8.8 for years- whether I had a D44 for sale, and 8.8, or neither. You could also look for a D44 in the JY, but the XJ D44 isn't anywhere near as common as the 8.8, and the MJ D44 is even more rare.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
It really is a toss up between the 44 and 8.8. They are comparable in terms of strength, I think the reason 8.8s get more attention is because there are more of them out there. If I found a 44 in good condition & didn't already have an 8.8, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
8.8 are cheaper, easier to find, and the later ones have disc brakes. They have some downsides, too, but you can walk into most any JY and find one in 10 minutes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts