Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delievery of this '79 Cherokee Chief S from Texas. It has a 360/TH400/Quadratrac. Dana 44s front & rear with 3.54 gearing. 79K miles. I have the title to the truck, as well. I bought this truck as a package deal with a rust-free Scrambler tub. The guy planned on pulling the Cherokee body, and mounting the Scrambler tub on the FSJ frame/drivetrain. Wheelbase is 109", which is only 5" longer than a Scrambler. A guy in ifsja.org is doing this swap currently, and I know a guy in Indiana who has done the same thing.

It runs/drives (it was driven onto an aquaintence's trailer in Austin, TX, and then onto Five Star Auto's car hauler). However, when I tried to start it here, I don't seem to be getting fuel. I'm wondering if some debris jostled loose during transport, and blocked the fuel line between the pump & the carb. I'm currently looking into this. I'll guarantee this to run pending the fuel delivery issue, though.

I traded some CJ/XJ stuff to PavementPounder, and will be getting an FSJ hood, bumpers, and other misc. stuff within a week or so.

Frame:
SUPER clean. Most of it is still the original faded black paint. I'd be willing to bet that you won't find a cleaner FSJ frame in Michigan.

Body condition:

The good:
  • Rust-free front fenders
  • 99% rust-free doors (some surface rust on inside lower lip)
  • Floors in rear (cargo area) are pretty clean from underneath. See "the bad" below for front floor comments.
  • Glass is good
  • Tailgate is REALLY clean
The bad:
  • Some small spots in floors would need to be patched.
  • Rear flares are rusty (replacement aftermarket flares can be purchased)
  • Driver side quarter behind rear wheel is rusty.
  • Small soft spot on passenger side between door and wheel opening.
Complete Truck Price: $750 OBO (I'd prefer to sell this COMPLETE)

Parts Prices:
  • Body "package" (tub, tailgate, all glass, doors) - $250...may sell individual items separately
  • Rust-free frame - $150
  • Chief emblems (Fenders & glove box) - Not available...these are hitting eBay
  • Front springs (same as Waggy springs; 2" offset pin) - $65
  • Dana 44 front axle (3.54) - Passenger-drop, complete caliper-to-caliper. This does NOT have flat-top knuckles. $200
  • Dana 44 rear axle (3.54 offset diff) - $75
  • Rust-free front fenders - $40 each
  • Grill - $30
  • Hood (not pictured) - $40
  • NEW radiator (missing cap, though...blew off in transport) - $75
  • 360 motor w/all accessories - $250 once I solve the fuel delivery issue.
  • TH400 trans - $100
  • BW-1339 Quadratrac t-case w/low range - $150
  • Red interior items - Make offer (good dash pad, visors, etc.)
  • Power steering box w/pitman arm - A great upgrade for late-model Jeeps. $75
  • Other small parts - Just ask.
This Jeep is "in the queue" behind a couple others, so I'd need some lead-time on getting stuff pulled. I'm not desparate to sell this stuff, so don't make me crazy-low offers...I'll just ignore you. :sonicjay: I'm also registered on ifsja.org, and will be listing stuff on there, as well. Anything that doesn't get spoken for will be eBay'd.

If you're interested in these items, e-mail me (address in sig) or reply here. PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, as it's easier for me to manage parts sales via threaded e-mails in Gmail.

Thanks,
Craig

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SageJp said:
I've been kinda looking for one of these, are you willing to take any trades
I'm primarily looking for cash, but would be open to a trade for a CJ (I'm a sucker for unique stuff, as well). I'm NOT looking for trades for daily-driver cars, snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc.

What do you have?

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a 79 dodge short box 4x4 with a '85 body
needs a motor and radiator. only rust on the body is on the rockers
hows 'bout $250 plus truck for the cheif?

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SageJp said:
I have a 79 dodge short box 4x4 with a '85 body
needs a motor and radiator. only rust on the body is on the rockers
hows 'bout $250 plus truck for the cheif?
I don't have a need for the Dodge. Thanks though.

Craig

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SageJp said:
How many miles?
Is all drivetrain in good condition.(except fuel problem)
79K miles. The vehicle does run & drive, although I have no first-hand experience with it at highway speed (I can attest to it working at low-speed driving). A previous owner supposedly had some transmission work done on it, as well.

Craig

·
Jeeps, Journey and Jesus
1,651 Posts
Hey Craig. I'm very interested in the 360 motor for my scrambler. The engine would be complete, correct?

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
87'YJ said:
Hey Craig. I'm very interested in the 360 motor for my scrambler. The engine would be complete, correct?
Yes, the motor is 100% complete (including A/C bracket pump, all other bracketry, etc.).

Craig

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
how much would you take for the truck minuse motor(if it should sell first)? could you gimme' a ring or send me your #? 248.941.8157 thanx, mike

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a guy coming this Sunday to look at the complete vehicle (actually a friend of the guys who delivered it for me). I'll know more after Sunday.

unclemyke - It would probably be in the $500 range, but I'd need to sell the motor first (I don't want to store a beast like that 360. :sonicjay:

drummond - I returned your e-mail.

Craig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts