Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old Hippie
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a jeep comando with a v-6 auto trans 4x4. It should run. What t-case and axles will it have? Anything else I should I know? Thanks Brian

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Buick 225, TH400, Dana 20, Possibly a D44 rear, Dana 27 front. A later CJ NT D30 front can be bolted in for an instant upgrade to discs. Suspension lift choices are kind of low. The tires sit pretty deep in the wheelwells stock (like an XJ) and they use a very long offset rear leaf. The fender openings would probably take TJ flares nicely. Front clip can be swapped with earlier CJ noses. Buick 350 is a bolt-in swap, as it uses the same mounts as the V6. I think the hardest part of that is trimming back the fan shroud behind the radiator. Its part of the grille assembly, IIRC. Later years of the V6 were even-fire 231's and it has bolt-pattern compatibility with later 3.8's all the way up to the GNX/Turbo T/A year range in the 80's. That means that you can swap on an entire FI or TBI top end off a junkyard motor, including heads.

They have a lot of potential, but few people actually build them.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Spicer 20 T-case. D27 front (closed knuckle) D44 rear (two peice shafts)

Also has the Ross cam and lever steering which would even make Rube Goldberg blush.

The spings, both front and rear, don't really match up to anything else, so a new lift kit is out of the question without fabrication.

Look for rust in the rear frame rails at the kick up over the rear axle. Make sure the t-case shifts, as it has a funky "U" pattern shifter for the t-case and the shifter linkage is almost as bad as the steering. The rocker panels are almost always gone on these, and you can't fit much of a tire on the rear without cutting out the wheelwell, or lifting a lot.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Not much more to add other then some of the rear diffs were Dana 30's and
The body mounts are almost always shot to shit.

They are not that hard to lift but be ready to spend money as not much is made for them.

·
Glad I'm not Gay J. Hall!
3,090 Posts
nothing else to add but i'd look for a 71, my springs were the same as the 72 and 73 with the dana 30, but the earlier ones i think had narrower springs. you can do a disk brake swap to the dana 27 for fairly cheap, the 71 dana 44 has the 1 piece shafts also.

i've seen some great ones out here in idaho, almost makes me wish i didn't sell mine! I'll prolly get another one but it will not be a michigan jeep! man old vehicles are in great condition out here. post some pics if you buy it. :thumb:

·
Registered
892 Posts
i've seen some great ones out here in idaho, almost makes me wish i didn't sell mine! I'll prolly get another one but it will not be a michigan jeep! man old vehicles are in great condition out here. post some pics if you buy it. :thumb:

Sure go a head and rub it in :sonicjay:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Wanna buy me some parts to fix your old one?
(i'll send ya the $$$)

Seriously.

Let me know, I need that passenger rear corner......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts