Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A buddy turned me onto this, and I'll be looking at this Willy's tow truck (hopefully to buy). I have been planning on a Willy's bed for the back of my other CJ-10a, and the tow truck setup would be great from a usability/practicality standpoint for me.

It runs/drives, and has a working PTO output t-case. If I get it, I'll keep the bed/towtruck setup, and sell the rest.

What do y'all think?

Craig

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Personally I would restore it as is, not many old tow trucks out there left, much less Willys ones.

My uncle did a '56 Ford tow truck and it gets a LOT of attention at shows.

But we know you can't resist cutting up old iron Craig :tonka:

Edit: If you part it out I may be in for the front clip/PTO :tonka:

Edit: edit: Did you see the dang near perfect Strohs Brewery original tow truck on CL a couple months ago?

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
who is that guy Capt. Lou Albano?????? must be low on cash.

sweet find though! I would do it.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
I think it would be cool as heck!

I would change the bar coming from the bumper to the newer V-type with the two rubber pieces and use the old boom and winch.

I can't find a decent picture, but like this one.

·
$9.00 vanilla malt
2,773 Posts
capt lou does rock, I would have him autograph the dash when you pick it up.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
A buddy turned me onto this, and I'll be looking at this Willy's tow truck (hopefully to buy). I have been planning on a Willy's bed for the back of my other CJ-10a, and the tow truck setup would be great from a usability/practicality standpoint for me.

It runs/drives, and has a working PTO output t-case. If I get it, I'll keep the bed/towtruck setup, and sell the rest.

What do y'all think?

Craig

If you have the urge to cut something up get an M715 with PTO winch on the front and either a slide back or a old time Holmes boom on the back.

Then you could use a big block V8 or even a Cummings power plant

With that you could be the entire Recovery Team. Not just a member of the Recovery Team.

If only I had a 47 bay workshop.....

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cleaned up two-tone Willys wrecker > mix & match CJ10 wrecker, IMO.

I hear you. The Willy's rockers are gone, and the floors are crusty, while I already have a rust-free CJ-10a body/front clip and rust-free Waggy frame.

Craig

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
I hear you. The Willy's rockers are gone, and the floors are crusty, while I already have a rust-free CJ-10a body/front clip and rust-free Waggy frame.

Craig
Honestly those wouldn't be very hard fixes Craig... that old truck looks far more solid then I have seen MANY other people start with browsing over the forums.

(from the pics anyway)

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly those wouldn't be very hard fixes Craig... that old truck looks far more solid then I have seen MANY other people start with browsing over the forums.

(from the pics anyway)
Good. Someone can fix it up then. :tonka: (after I yank the bed off)

Craig

·
I have an avatar. Yippee.
4,283 Posts

(from the pics anyway)
I'd be very concerned about the integrity of the frame, especially in this application, because of the age of the vehicle and condition of the body. Considering the amount of fodder Craig moves, he'll need something safe and reliable. If fabbing a PTO drivetrain on the '10 is cheaper/easier/faster than doing body/frame work on the Willys, I'd do the same thing.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
I'd be very concerned about the integrity of the frame, especially in this application, because of the age of the vehicle and condition of the body. Considering the amount of fodder Craig moves, he'll need something safe and reliable. If fabbing a PTO drivetrain on the '10 is cheaper/easier/faster than doing body/frame work on the Willys, I'd do the same thing.
If he plans to actually use the boom and haul his stuff with it, I am sure there are FAR better choices then his tug as a base. You can pick up an 80's Chevy tow truck in pretty good condition for $2500 or so. I looked at one last summer when my dad was trying to get me to buy it for hauling all my crap around.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Holy Hillbilly! I think that guy is just trying to lure in some "love interests" with the sale of that truck.

·
I have an avatar. Yippee.
4,283 Posts
If he plans to actually use the boom and haul his stuff with it, I am sure there are FAR better choices then his tug as a base. You can pick up an 80's Chevy tow truck in pretty good condition for $2500 or so. I looked at one last summer when my dad was trying to get me to buy it for hauling all my crap around.
Maybe, if you have the extra $2500 laying around.

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Good point. I was thinking the boom was electrically-controlled (dumb-ass assumption, given the age of the vehicle), and that the PTO just had a standard output on the rear of the vehicle. As you can see in the photo below, the PTO drives the gear/chain for the boom setup. I'm not sure what I'd have to do to add a PTO setup to the newer driveline. Thoughts?

Yes, I'd actually use the boom setup for local/yard use, but I would also want a standard hitch setup so I could tow a trailer when needed. I don't have a car hauler per se, but plan to add trailer brakes to my 16' utility trailer in the future.

Maybe, if you have the extra $2500 laying around.
Exactly. I already own the tug, and don't have an extra $2500 sitting around to buy another vehicle. I'm also starting on another Scrambler project, so resources are limited.

The Waggy frame has a 109" wheelbase (respectable), and I have the HD Dana 70 rear axle/dead float front axle in the '10a that are more than sturdy enough. I'm not sure if I'd need to box in the Waggy frame or not. I'm guessing I would for added strength/rigidity.

Craig

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
Oh my Goodness Craig!!!! You are trying to make a tow "Mater" truck.
:sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:

Babywrench, check his temperature. Dude, you gotta stop drinking that City Water from Walker, it's messing with your brain cells.

I can see it now, I get stuck on a trail and it will be "Private Stuby Tow-Mater" at my service.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts