Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Axle Guru Extraordinaire
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what after market joints for the 60 are actually rated for street use? I wanted the long cv's but those are offroad only :(

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
I was wondering what after market joints for the 60 are actually rated for street use? I wanted the long cv's but those are offroad only :(

Thanks
Anything that doesn't use bronze bushings.

I don't see why the Long CV's won't work on the road? It's just a big ass cromo birfield.

·
Axle Guru Extraordinaire
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I thought to but I emailed him and said offroad only :(

So then I have to run spicers? I doubt those will last 2 seconds :miff:

·
Axle Guru Extraordinaire
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear steer and 500 hp, I have my doubts on alloys living :miff:

It won't see alot of street time but I would like to cruise around on a nice weekend (rear steer locked of course)

I am thinking that ctm's would be the best after market solution, I will just be replacing caps I guess.

And yes I know you don't need it for michigan wheeling, but I don't care.

5,476 Posts
unless you are running unit bearings why cant you run an offroad only u-joint? the hub will be unlocked so the front axle would not be spinning. I dont see the problem?

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
U-joints are designed to see misalignment. That way the caps rotate, all the bearings get grease and they don't flat spot.

So in a rear steer application, with the u-joints seeing no angularity, the bearings won't spin.

So your only option is MAYBE a CV style shaft. If Longfield says no street use, then I guess there is a reason.

Now that I'm rambling I wonder how people even run stock spicers on the street in a rear steer application.

·
Axle Guru Extraordinaire
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted CV's, the lifetime warranty is awesome. I emailed them to confirm, even with the steering locked. I might try them anyway, IIRC it is because the cv is built tighter than a normal application (IE tighter tolerances) which makes them heat up to much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts