Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
Reliable but not a power house and only gets a lil better mpg than the gas option
I disagree about the mileage because of what I've observed.

OP, this engine is highly regarded as a complete turd. It can't power much more than itself and they have the undesirable tendency to break the main bearing webbing of the block and chuck their crankshaft into the oil pan. If you just want a turbo whistle and a rattly idle along with some OK mileage, this engine will do you fine. If you want to work your truck hard, you will be disappointed in the uber lack of power.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
I owned 1996 6.5 in a 3500 4x4, and contrary to popular believe I really liked the engine. The fuel mileage was averaging 13 in town and 18 on highway. Out of all the diesels I have owned it is my favorite as a daily driver.
The pros: Quiet engine compared to others, smooth powerband
The cons: Heat sink needs to relocated (many articles on line), not the best fuel mileage of all the diesels but not the worst

·
Registered
1 Posts
Funny everyone talks about power. I've had no issue with my could roast tires like no other and with no hesitation save alot of folks at the offroad park. I use it as a daily and as a toy never had an issue yes it's no speed demon but they are geared low from the start. With a 4l80e backed with 4:10 gearing I have no issue pulling hauling or crawling. I've yet to see these so called issues others half remind you mine is the 2000 model last year they made them

·
Hang all the thieves
1,840 Posts
Funny everyone talks about power. I've had no issue with my could roast tires like no other and with no hesitation save alot of folks at the offroad park. I use it as a daily and as a toy never had an issue yes it's no speed demon but they are geared low from the start. With a 4l80e backed with 4:10 gearing I have no issue pulling hauling or crawling. I've yet to see these so called issues others half remind you mine is the 2000 model last year they made them
Nice 9 year old thread bump.👍

·
Gustafson
10,625 Posts
always sounded like someone took a handful of nuts and bolts and threw them in before putting the heads on.
I know what you mean.... they never had that RING RING RING RING diesel sound like the Cummins and Powerstroke did.... They almost sounded like spark knock..... :ROFLMAO:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts