Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charcoal Mellowed
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Dually with the 6.0 - If I let it idle for a few moments I get a dead miss on one cyl. I tried the usual, cleaned throttle body, replaced plugs and wires, but nothing worked. All I have is a generic scantool, and the truck has yet to set a fault.

Is there a common failure that one of you knows about? Do these have injector issues or coil issues? Anything else I should check before I get out my kneepads and go beg/blow to get Tech2 time out of one of my friends?

Also as a sidenote, Any tips to getting the broken f-in way too small exhaust bolts out of the head? I have a spare LS-1 that I wanted to put in another car and I just noticed it had 2 bolts broken in the driver's side head.

Thanks!:sparks:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Not sure if they used the Spark modulator in 2002 - if so check that. I did have a "no - code" situation with that, an ignition module and a stator. I dont think the 2002 has a stator or ignition module.

If this model has the row of coil packs - try changing them out one at a time. A cracked one will give you the same result. "No-Codes"

Lastly, broken bolt in head - weld on a nut - try not to heat the head - just the broken bolt.

·
Charcoal Mellowed
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
coils

It is the multi-coil setup. I tried to wet them to make a cracked one spark, but I might try and get a good one and rotate it through to see if my problem goes away.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does the miss go away when warm or off idle. Ive seen 2 common things with those motors. If the motor is flex fuel than is can have a vacum leak due to the gaskets (theres a GM tsb on that) something to do with injectors spraying higher volumes of fuel due to flexfuel and then the gas puddling on the gasket making it weak, Or I had one run like it had plugged cats and it had dirty injectors

·
Charcoal Mellowed
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dirty injectors

Ted,

I don't believe it is flexfuel, since I can still buy cheap fuel filters for it. My friends silverado is and I think his fuel filter is like 60-70 dollars...

I think you are on the right track with the injectors - did you replace them to fix the dirty injectors issue or just run an injector cleaner on it? I'll try later today to ohm them all out and get the adaptor for my BG can and shoot a cleaner through it.

Anything else that you think of I'll be grateful...:sparks:

·
Registered
96 Posts
i took them out or the rear and sprayed them out with brake clean than ran cyclo injector cleaner through them.
if you know anyone with a evap smoker smoke that intake and check for leaks

·
Bank Account Understands!
598 Posts
you can check the intake for leaks with a can of carb spray. spray around the base of the intake near the heads and see if the misfires get worse. if they do.....intake is leaking which is common and easy to fix!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.