Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
If my truck was near as clean as yours if probably be going a similar route as you are. The way I look at it is I'm saving it from rusting out completely and making it mine along the way. Keep up the progress, it's looking good

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
If my truck was near as clean as yours if probably be going a similar route as you are. The way I look at it is I'm saving it from rusting out completely and making it mine along the way. Keep up the progress, it's looking good
Thx. I'm going to have to start chasing some areas. Thankfully not the Cab but all 4 fenders need help weather it's rust or stress cracks, some cracks are about 2" give or take.
The Day might come to dip the Cab, I have reservations about blasting because I've seen sheet metal wrap. Again not any time soon.

·
Live Action!
15,750 Posts
Thx. I'm going to have to start chasing some areas. Thankfully not the Cab but all 4 fenders need help weather it's rust or stress cracks, some cracks are about 2" give or take.
The Day might come to dip the Cab, I have reservations about blasting because I've seen sheet metal wrap. Again not any time soon.
If you go the blasting route use soda and water, no dust and the water cools it as it strips. There are companies that will even come to you to do it, not sure if any are local though.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
When I was looking for a place to dip the whole cab I found a place just south of Metro Airport and another place that does the same somewhere in Indiana. I don't remember the names of the places off hand but had good feed back as to not ramped sting out later on . The place in Romulus also paints a coating on it, like powder coating. Ill dig and post the place. They dip full size cars, frames, etc.
I wouldn't have a problem driving across state or past the state line if the place I'm taking it to has good feed back and it's turn around don't take more than a couple of weeks
The place in Romulus is called Redi-Strip.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Try calling "international paint stripping" I used to work there and we could acid dip whole cars. This was 10+ years ago too. There right by the airport off 275

·
Live Action!
15,750 Posts
When I was looking for a place to dip the whole cab I found a place just south of Metro Airport and another place that does the same somewhere in Indiana. I don't remember the names of the places off hand but had good feed back as to not ramped sting out later on . The place in Romulus also paints a coating on it, like powder coating. Ill dig and post the place. They dip full size cars, frames, etc.
I wouldn't have a problem driving across state or past the state line if the place I'm taking it to has good feed back and it's turn around don't take more than a couple of weeks
The place in Romulus is called Redi-Strip.
Yes there is a place in Michigan that will strip and dip in E-coat, that is probably your best bet without doing the work yourself assuming it is not too expensive.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
it's been awhile, I'm getting ready to pull the 401 and drop a 360 in for the winter. I'm also debating selling the pickup to fund the Willys Wagon.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Been awhile since the last time I was here. Ive decided to let this one go soon. Im in the process of swapping out axles. Ive already sold the 401, it now lives under the hood of a AMC Javelin. In its place is a 1983 or 1985 258 six cylinder motor. Ive been working on to many projects and im going from 4 down to 2. My 1954 Willys Wagon and a 1946 2a. The other Willys going up for sale is a 1948 2a. Still titled with the state of Wyoming. In a couple of weeks ill post some pics. Nice to be back, ive sidetracked myself to many times.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
Thanks Joe it'll be hard letting this one go. Im going to swap out the axles soon and then up it up in the market place and see if it sells there. Im going from 4 Willys down to 2 so I can finish the wagon and get my 46 2a to trail worthiness. The tub on the 46 2a comes off today. Im going down to the frame and sending the from off to be sand blasted, same with the axles. The pic is from about 4 years ago when I first got it. Its been a rolling shelf to long.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Today its hard for me to nail down a price because I flip flop alot these days. If I swap out the axles and put in Cherokee XJ axles, then possibly $9,500. Ball park until someone stops over to see the actual condition and what ive done to it.

Currently the stats
Motor 1983 amc 258, runs good.
Trans, wagoneer 727 that I had completely rebuilt w/shift kit rebuilt about 5 years ago.... I lost track. Still, low miles because this was mostly a trail jeep.
Case is a ford 208
Axles
Front is a HD D44 from a 1978 F250, narrowed to wagoneer width with Wagoneer shafts. Detroit soft locker 4:10 r/p
Rear is a 9" also with a Detroit locker, 4:10 r/p
Wheels today are 255/75/17's on black wagon wheel rims.
I dont know off hand what id take for it the way it sits. Because id like to put the lockers (ateast) in the wagon. Leaving me to put 3:5 r&p's back in the pickup. Im as ditzy as a old lady so......

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
The cab is still solid no rust holes, a bit of surface rust here and there. I recently welded up some stress cracks on the front fenders from flexing on the trails over the years, finished off in a gorgeous red rattle can primer. <-- selling points. Lol.

Attachments

81 - 93 of 93 Posts