Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I bit the bullet today and ordered a high steer knuckle and arm for the passenger side of my front D44. So I will no longer be using my front driver side leaf spring for a bump stop and no left turns with the spring compressed.
Yes im replacing the pitman arm too. I have a flat one from a CJ that should do the job.
Ill have everything on my doorstep in a weeks time and get it setup and ready for the Jeep blessing.(fingers crossed!)

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Darn it! The high steer knuckle and arm for the passenger side wont show up till Monday. GRRRR :(
Everything seems to be going at a snails pace. Ive been trying to get my salvage titled jeep inspected now, for the past 2 weeks but have gotten no return calls (live in Oakland County) and after talking to SOS a few times their remedy is drive to Memphis Mi or Armada mi or bum f**k Egypt.
Thxs SOS "Ruth to the rescue Johnson" Now my Friday is complete(ly wasted)

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
I finally got around to pulling the axles. Im getting the Willys locked front and rear. New Detroit soft lockers and 4:10 R&P's.
Im hoping to have the axles back under the jeep by next weekend or the following weekend. Cant wait!:woot:

The Willys wagon is next.:naughty:

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Well I got my 3rd member back, locker installed and the D44 stuffed w/locker also. Cant wait to get this all back under the willys. Im getting ready for SnowBlind, 3rd week in February.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Awesome pickup. I have a 49 that i picked up a couple years ago that im slowly but surely restoring as original as possible. I still even have the funky rear axle that splits in the middle. Its sweet looking but a pain to work on.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Been awhile since I've posted. About a couple of months ago I had thought about buying another winch. I came across a Warn Winch/ 8274, less than 4 years old for $750. Located in Farmington Hills Called the guy up he still had it so I jumped in the jeep and flew over there. It was what he said it was with remote and mounting plate and booklet.
I then threw my Older/ 1970's Warn 8274 that I paid $450. for about 10years ago and sold that for $750. Things like this dont usually happen, I guess timing is everything.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
When I ordered everything through Parts Mike I thought the Pitman arm was going to be straight out instead of a slight droop/ angle. I thought about heating it up and straighten it out but worry about losing the temper in the steel?

·
welfare wheeler
6,990 Posts
Its looking great kim!
Who did your gears? Or did u do them?
Enjoy!

I should b home dec 4th, I should swing by.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
You didn't leave them orange? :fish:
How close is it at full turn?
RE heat, my guess is that it's cast steel so heating it should not be a problem.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
You didn't leave them orange? :fish:
How close is it at full turn?
RE heat, my guess is that it's cast steel so heating it should not be a problem.
The Pitman arm tie rod end at full turn is above the leaf spring only by about 1/4 to 1/2"
That's with all 4 wheels flat on the driveway, not ramped. Ill heat up the arm and raise it after I ramp the driver side.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have thought of putting the drag link in from the top of the pitman arm. I know you would need a sleeve and drill it out etc. but it looks like that would be easy and give you lots of room.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts