Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Heres the motor up close and all hooked up, It "Fired" right up.

The motor would idle all day w/out over heating. Seemed as soon as I stayed in on the gas pedal it would over heat so I spent the next month fabing up a fan shroud. I spent alot of google time seeing what guys have done and decided after I made this that next time ill just my one. It cost me about $100.(ordered too much stock) for the alum and to much time making jigs.

Click on this/fired up and running. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/jeepers48/CJ parking lamps/?action=view&current=2011-07-17_19-59-19_428.mp4

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Looks good. I am in the starting stages of doing a 53 Willys truck build. Did you use the original frame?
Yes its the Original frame. The PO took pretty good care of the willys, not really in the barn, per say. More of a out side storage, just a roof to keep the rain off his tractors and other equipment.

·
Duck Shootin' Wheelerer!!
4,372 Posts
Saw this one in Cheboygan a couple of weeks ago...

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

My wife and kids went out before me and my wife said to them as they walked by... "Bet Dad stops and takes a picture of that..." Sure enough 5 minutes later, I come walking out with my 20lb bag of ice for the Beer and i sdrop the bag and snap a few pics... The whole time my wife and kids are laughing at me... I guess I am a touch too predictable!!!

I think I found my next build...:bdr2:

·
Duck Shootin' Wheelerer!!
4,372 Posts
I finally found a set of "old School wheels for the Willys, A set of faded Turbine style wheels 10 X 15's. Im looking forward to getting them sand blasted and Powder Coated. :woot:

I also got around to swapping in a Ford 9" rear and the front HD D44 is ready to put in as soon as I get around to pulling the HP D30 out.
I used the same rims on an old YJ I built... painted the inside of the turbines gloss black and polished the outide edge of each turbine and they looked pretty good... I have no pics cause it was back before digital cameras...:fish:

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
i saw a similar one at the dream cruise. was it yours?
looks great!

Yes that was me. The wife and i were parked at 15 mile/WoodWard, across the street from Peabodys. I also brought out my willys wagon too. Sorry i missed you Joe.

Very cool! Any updates?
Currently im still dealing with cooling issues and lower than normal oil pressure. The motor has now been rebuilt twice in a 10 month period and once warmed up is 25pds. Should be atleast 40pds/fresh rebuild.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
ive been working on the Willys again/Spring is here.
This time im doing some bigger upgrades, starting with the original gas tank,(10 gallon special) which is now "history". Pulled it in favor of a YJ tank w/fuel pump and a "working gas guage". Last summer, ran out of gas more than a few times.

After I removed the old tank, I put the YJ tank on the jack to do some butt mechanic measuring so I could place it as high up into the frame as possible.

I needed a rear cross member to support not only the weight of the tank but also if I happen to bottom out on the tank, to have some solid support. So I bought some 3/16 2X4 sq tubing and cut/hacked and welded it all into place.

I ended up putting the filler tube on the driver side verses the original being on the passenger side.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Ground off the rust from the skid and rattle canned it with primer.

Finished welding in the cross member and bolted the tank up into place and hooked up the hoses, also ran my gas lines.
Here it is, installed and ready for paint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very nice! My wife just bought me a '62 Willys truck for Christmas. It currently has a 307 Chevy/T90/D18 with stock axles mounted soa. I'm interested how you mounted the brackets for the YJ springs. I saw you extended the front of the frame and it looked like you just used YJ hangers, is that correct?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Saw this one in Cheboygan a couple of weeks ago...

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

My wife and kids went out before me and my wife said to them as they walked by... "Bet Dad stops and takes a picture of that..." Sure enough 5 minutes later, I come walking out with my 20lb bag of ice for the Beer and i sdrop the bag and snap a few pics... The whole time my wife and kids are laughing at me... I guess I am a touch too predictable!!!

I think I found my next build...:bdr2:
beautiful!!

build looks like it's coming along nicely. good luck with it

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Very nice! My wife just bought me a '62 Willys truck for Christmas. It currently has a 307 Chevy/T90/D18 with stock axles mounted soa. I'm interested how you mounted the brackets for the YJ springs. I saw you extended the front of the frame and it looked like you just used YJ hangers, is that correct?
Yes that's correct.

beautiful!!

build looks like it's coming along nicely. good luck with it
Bigbird posted that. that's not mine. lol :fish:

41 - 60 of 93 Posts