Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
You won't hurt our feeling by keeping us updated with the build just because it isn't 4x4

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Alright so here's the rear now. I'm debating moving the lower bars out toward the center of the airbags for a double triangulated setup.
I have a 2wd trans now it's in and bolted up.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I also bought another truck. This is a 55 willys truck. It came with all the small parts that I needed. It sat in a guys garage for 10-15 years. Overall it's in damn good shape minus the cab floor. I basically got 2 boxes of parts and a free body. It's everything from the chassis up. I may have a plan for the new one already but am going to finish the 52 first.
Here's a picture of the new willy that has been deemed "Frank" by my daughter. Everything is there to put it back together it's mostly all in the bed of the Cummins.

·
Little Member
23,794 Posts
Alright so here's the rear now. I'm debating moving the lower bars out toward the center of the airbags for a double triangulated setup.
I have a 2wd trans now it's in and bolted up.
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is that frame brace almost in contact with the upper bars? There doesn't seem to be a lot of suspension travel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those bags are going to restrict travel anyway so there may be enough space at the frame brace.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
No there won't be much travel and yes it is in the way. That was one of the original bars I put in while it was lifted and didn't matter then but does now. I still have to redesign the frame braces or lack thereof. I could leave it the way it is but it will only leave me around 4" of travel and with bags 4" should be plenty but I'm going to change it up anyway.
I didn't want to cut it out until I braced it another way since I've put a lot of heat to the frame boxing it. The last thing I want is anything to spring outward on me

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
2 years later I guess this thread can be deleted... I ended up selling it. I'm still kicking my self in the ass for not sticking to my original plans before I started building it. 1 tons on 35s on/off road truck

·
Gustafson
9,038 Posts
2 years later I guess this thread can be deleted... I ended up selling it. I'm still kicking my self in the ass for not sticking to my original plans before I started building it. 1 tons on 35s on/off road truck
Why did you sell it? This was such a cool project.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Working too much, no time, my wife had surgery, I was taking care of her, money got tight, my plans changed too much... in other words life happened.
On an upside we do have a new project, this one is all hers. We haven't done a whole hell of a lot to it for most of the same reasons but it's sitting waiting. 72 Chevy in 2.5 ton Rockwells

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts
Dont delete, some of the progress and posts could be useful to somebody doing a search later down the road. Bummer you couldn't see it through I hate having to give projects before they are seen finished.

Do you know where it went and if it was finished?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Yes and no. Someone who my wife is Facebook friends with bought it. Last I knew he put a coil over setup along with the airbags on the back and was planning on putting the radiator under the hood. That's the last I heard of it. I wasn't even able to be home to watch it go. I'm onto bigger and better things.
Back surgery a few days ago has me stopped in my tracks for now.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
Well... good news! I'm getting my Willy back!

If anyone has or knows where I can get a bed for a willys truck let me know asap!

·
Gustafson
9,038 Posts
Well... good news! I'm getting my Willy back!

If anyone has or knows where I can get a bed for a willys truck let me know asap!
:rock: That is awesome news!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
She's home as of yesterday. I put a lexan windshield and rear window in it then took it for a ride today. She gets out of her way in a hurry. For now it will wait for me to finish up my 69 C60 pull truck and wife's 72 Chevy mud truck. I'll probably make the Willy an insane horsepower build and possibly make it 4wd again at some point.

·
Gustafson
9,038 Posts
She's home as of yesterday. I put a lexan windshield and rear window in it then took it for a ride today. She gets out of her way in a hurry. For now it will wait for me to finish up my 69 C60 pull truck and wife's 72 Chevy mud truck. I'll probably make the Willy an insane horsepower build and possibly make it 4wd again at some point.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts