Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I'll post a picture of it later, it was pouring and I was pissed so I walked away from it. At a glance it looked like it only hit the windshield. That's why I have full coverage I guess

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Here's the on of my daughter laying under it with a flashlight on her shoulder pulling the bolts off the trans pan.

·
I fix stuff!
13,805 Posts
My daughter is getting interested and involved with the stuff that I do. Sadly, she is probably in the top 5% of mechanics I've hired over the years. What she has that they didn't is an analytical mind, grasp of spacial concepts, and a curiosity to find out exactly how things work. I told her I would murder her if she pursued auto (or any) repair as a career. I do enjoy the company and conversation. She's a pretty smart cookie and I would have to assume she takes after the UPS guy or mailman.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
It's nice having them around and them taking interest. My daughter likes hanging out in the garage with me and learning about what I'm doing and how I go from having a thought to reality.
I haven't made any progress but I do have a line on a front axle now.
Here a picture of the Dodge, it's all fixed now. I'm more so mad about not having my tint like I did across the windshield, I'll replace that whenever I get time.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
I took care of the crossmember issue and will be making a stout transmission bracket. What you can't really make out in the picture is the 3"x4"x1/4" tube I used to brace the front to help replace the crossmember. I also moved the motor mounts up 1-1/2" and welded them solid.

This is how it sits as of tonight. From the ground to the top of chassis at the center of the hoops it measures 38-1/2". That will be ride height when it's done.

I had to pause for a minute earlier while we were setting the engine and snap this picture. The more you can involve the family the better! Only one of them was readyish for the picture

None of them were happy when I said it had to come right back out! I just needed it in there for a reference before I started hacking everything else up. My wife and I reinstalled the engine at 10 this evening using a flashlight.... gotta love it

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Yep. 2wd rat rod. I know I'll never have time to take it and play with it in the mud since I work way too much.
I'm going to stick with the 70 rear 4 link with air bags put the econoline front suspension back together, get a 2 wd C6 and have a tire boiling little willy that I can drive on the road whenever I want.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yep. 2wd rat rod. I know I'll never have time to take it and play with it in the mud since I work way too much.
I'm going to stick with the 70 rear 4 link with air bags put the econoline front suspension back together, get a 2 wd C6 and have a tire boiling little willy that I can drive on the road whenever I want.
Sweeeeet! I definitely have the intentions of building something similar later on in life

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I'm going to have to make quite a few changes. Ditch the 410 in favor for a 355 or lower. The thing will have no weight a 460 and a 3 speed. It should be a blast! I may update this once in a great while but it no longer falls into something to be expected here

81 - 100 of 132 Posts